Friday, May 19, 2017

You'll get through this!


Good morning!  I hope today is starting off on a positive level for you.May 19  I Peter 5 8.JPG


Tell me something:  is there anywhere one should go without having on the full armor of God?  Surely there are some safe places out there where one doesn’t need the battle gear on!  Right?  Church services, for example.  If any place is safe, then being around God’s people, hearing the songs of Zion, and listening to the man of God preach the Word should evoke a sense of security.  And meetings--such as Card Ministry, Bible Studies, or other church-related events:  these places one can definitely forego the battle gear attire, right?  And lastly, one of the most sacred places of all--your home, your sanctuary, where you are with your most trusted friend, involved in a study designed and purposed to bring you closer to becoming more like Christ--is of all places where you should feel guarded.  Right?  Right??

Ahh.  If only.  If only there indeed was a place where the helmet of salvation wasn’t necessary to block those fiery darts of the wicked one as the mind is attacked.  If only the breastplate could be set aside so that one’s heart wasn’t in fear of being pricked, much less broken.  

Steve and I are currently doing the you’ll get through this study by Max Lucado.  The mantra for this study goes as follows:  

You’ll get through this.
It won’t be painless.
It won’t be quick.
But God will use this mess for good.
Don’t be foolish or naïve.
But don’t despair either.
With God’s help, you’ll get through this.

Uh oh.  I already failed.  I was foolish.  I was naive.  

The first lesson we sailed through, congratulating one another on how wise and smart we were for not letting the woes of the world take us down.  Not us!  God had smartened us up to what was really important in life and while we thought this study would be useful as we learned more about how Joseph dealt with the adversities of his own life, we were pretty sure we had a good handle on this.  Especially Steve.  I mean, how hard is it to relate to your brothers betraying you when you are an only child?  He never dealt with the jealousies and pettiness of siblings, much less ever thought they’d sell him out as Joseph’s brother had.  At the end of Session Two, he was ready to move on, wondering if I had gotten anything from it.

Oh boy.

Sigh.

Being careful then--as I’m also trying to be now--I hesitatingly looked over my notes.  A couple of things had stood out to me.  The first was obvious:  being sold out by family members.  Yep:  I have the t-shirt for that one!  The second:  just how much would twenty pieces of silver be equivalent to in today’s market?  Were my siblings basking in their wealth and was it worth the price they paid for putting me into the cistern?  Third:  Max related how when Joseph was found he didn’t have a penny to his name.  This instantly took me back to the check I received from my mother’s estate for--you guessed it!--one cent.  The memories started and were just waiting for me to rehash them, revisit them, and return to the mire.

Okay, here’s where it pays to have ready the shield of faith, “with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one” (Ephesians 6:16).  Remember when I first started today’s blog how I questioned where one might be safe from the attacks of the wily one?  The answer is nowhere, as I relearned this lesson.  As I spoke to Steve of the insights I had, my faith shield was being drawn.  The truth of God’s Word, my position as His child, and my acceptance--no, my belief that regardless of what the world says, my worth is of much more value than any earthly inheritance.  I raised that shield and did not succumb to the lies, the memories, the betrayal.  Woo hoo:  ol’ Stef was indeed growing up in the faith!  

Reflecting further, I spoke of how Max had gone on to declare that not only had Joseph survived what his brothers had done to him, he thrived.  He had a destiny to fulfill, one that could not have been accomplished had he stayed at home.  And like all destinies (said Max), there are at least two common denominators.  The first is that one is God’s child.  Chosen by Him, purchased, and purposed.  The second?  One is God’s child forever.  No chance of being sold or disowned.  I am still a daughter of God.  Forever.  He won’t break His promise to me.  “From birth to hearse” my life on earth is preparing me for an eternity in heaven.  God’s plans for me are out of this world.  

Read that again.  God’s plans for me are out of this world.  Remember what Jesus told His disciples in John 16:33, how they would have tribulation but to be of good cheer because He had overcome the world?  That’s what I am going to do.  I am going to be of good cheer.  I am going to keep my armor handy at all times--especially when involved in things that pertain to church.  Why there?  Because that is where my guard is least down and my defenses can more easily be permeated.  It’s happened before and no doubt, I will be attacked there again.  Ephesians 6:12 states:  “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.”  Satan tries to make us war with one another--often using our families to inflict the most damage.  

Are we going to let him win, friends, or are we going to fulfill the destiny Christ Jesus has prepared for us?  Keep those defenses up and be alert.  Don’t let him devour you.  I almost did.  By God’s grace and applying His Truths in my life--including in my mind where I am told to captivate my thoughts--I stand today.  And with His help, I purpose to remain upright and not go back to the pit where Satan tried to keep me bound and forsaken.  Who’s with me?

Let’s pray!

Dear Lord,

Whew!  What a lesson for me!  So much of Joseph’s life mirrors my own.  Betrayed, being a dreamer, being imprisoned, forgotten, falsely accused, used to allow others their relationships…

Lord?  You delivered me.  You rescued me from the pits of despair, time and time again.  And during those times, Father, You strengthened me, prepared me, and grew me.  Like Joseph, I learned to control my tongue and although I haven’t mastered it yet, my hope is that it now is more used to build up than to tear down.

As You use those evils for good, my prayer is that I won’t fight, won’t struggle against the lessons You teach.  The striving will end, Father, when You take me home.  Until then, my hope is that my life--when all is said and done--reflects You and what Christ Jesus has done for and in me.  Use me for good is my desire and I ask that You do this for Christ’s sake so that His sacrifice for me was not one done in vain.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!