Saturday, August 9, 2014

Even as I post this photo, the song "Why Can't We Be Friends?" is playing in my head. That's just the way I am. My dear friend (that I wrote about yesterday) and I were having one of those Facebook private chats that we do every so often and she floated a line from a Billy Joel song (Only The Good Die Young) in our conversation. I always think of her during this song anyway so it was just icing on the cake! How I love music! Turn on my iPod and you are likely to hear Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Conway Twitty, Alabama, The Eagles, Kelly Clarkson, Seals and Crofts, Madonna, Third Day, Bebo Norman, Alanis Morissette, Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan, Carly Simon, John Denver...I have quite the eclectic taste. I've almost always got a song running through my mind, and--like the picture depicts--those lyrics can pop out at any given moment. I am learning to control that better in my new role as a granny but still...sometimes they just don't stop. When they do and just float around instead inside of my head, they can elicit all kinds of moods, thoughts, and memories. In the Bible, we are told how music was used to soothe. David playing his harp is a prime example. Songs of victory were expressed often in the Psalms, as were songs of loneliness and questioning. Praise and worship music is not anything new and--thankfully--continues to this day. How many of us have not been exposed to the old hymn "Amazing Grace" and the modernized version of it by Chris Tomlin "My Chains Are Gone" as he revised it and added to it? Now that's much better running through my head than the previously mentioned one! Today, as you set about to enjoy your weekend, make sure there is lots of music in it. Let it wash over you and fill you with joy. Sing happy songs, silly songs, songs that cause you to ponder as you miss someone. I love "Go Rest High on That Mountain" and "I Drive Your Truck" when I miss Mary. "Stop! In the Name of Love" reminds me of the time me, my mother, and my lovely Aunt Bo sang it on a karaoke machine at my niece Chastity's 16th birthday party. Tommy Roe's "Dizzy" takes me back to when I was a carefree kid in California, singing it as I went 'round and 'round and around in my front yard, holding one of my dolls as we twirled about. "One Touch" also moves me to a deeper reflection of how grateful I am that Jesus indeed touched the hem of my garment and made me whole, reminding me of the time my "Sisters" and I went to see Nicole C. Mullen at a women's conference years ago. As the O'Jays sang, "I love music." Don't you? I'd love to read some of your favorites and why they are so powerful to you so, please, share. Let's pray! Thank You Lord for Your blessings on me. Music: oh how You know I love it! I appreciate this wonderful gift You have provided for me and for so many others, Lord. For those You've blessed with the ability and talents to provide it, I thank You. May they use their voices and musical skills to uplift Your Name is my prayer. And, although You did not see fit to provide me with a tongue that sounds pretty when I sing, I thank You anyways for the ability to have a song in my heart. I'll praise You in my storms and in my daily ways. You are an awesome God and I love You! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!