Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Perky Chaplains

August 19, 2014 I must confess: I was a bit put off by the chaplain's visit yesterday to Uncle Wayne's bedside. In she breezed, blonde hair in a loose pony tail, full of life, and a smile as big as Texas. Her voice was chirpy and her attitude was "I'm here. Let's get to business!" It didn't seem to matter to her that we were in the midst of a conversation or that she might be interrupting something. Oh no: she was here and she had a job to do. Introductions were short and to the point. Her focus was not on us but rather the fella in the bed who was on her list. Boldly she declared she was here to pray and before Wayne could quite acquiesce, off she went, murmuring some flighty, cheerful prayer about how in the name of Jesus we loved Him and praised Him; how she was declaring victory for Wayne to heal and to walk right out of this hospital, and again, how much we all loved the Lord. Seemed like she was in and out in a blink, as we all kind of stood back and wondered what had hit us. It bothered me. The more I pondered it, the more conflicted I became. I mean, seriously, who was this woman? Yeah, her tag said she was the chaplain but...Aren't chaplains supposed to be these more formal creatures who nod solemnly and sit you in a chair and pat your hand while you tell them all about it, whatever "it" may be? Aren't they supposed to linger and let you bog them down with all of your needs, as well as those of your loved one who is aching in his/her own right? And that prayer? Ridiculous! How dare she assume we all love Jesus and that our number one desire was for Wayne to be healed so that he could indeed walk out of the hospital, even though his paralysis barely allowed him half of a body to use? And what was with all of this "Praise Jesus" stuff? Didn't she know that we were in a storm and rejoicing in this suffering was not our number one priority? Okay faithful readers, you know what is coming next. Ol' Stef is about to be corrected. Gently, 'cause that's the way her Lord is. This morning in my inbox I had a prayer request from someone I don't know, asking me to join with her in prayer about a personal matter. I sighed within myself as I thought once again, "How am I supposed to pray for someone that I don't know, that I don't know what is wrong with specifically, and to pray in a way that is helpful and encouraging?" Yeah, you guessed it. Ding ding ding! We have a winner! It's really quite easy, isn't it? There is a request, a need, a cry for help (even if the cry barely comes out as a whisper). There is someone nearby who is in touch with our Father, who knows how great He is and how worthy He is of praise in good times and in the bad ones too. He promised to hear us when two or more gather in His name. He is the Great Physician so how absolutely foolish it would be to not ask Him to use His healing powers on our loved ones! Okay, I got it. Again, Lord. Miss Breezy Blonde Chaplain from yesterday: I am sorry. I misjudged you, criticized your cheerful attitude (which in hindsight was really quite pleasant when there was so much sobriety in the air), and brushed off your cavalier attitude of going from room to room as "just a job" rather than as a calling to spread light, to spread cheer, to offer hope, and to talk to Jesus on people's behalfs when they may not have the words to utter and can only hold on to your hand for hope, for relief. Sigh. Please forgive me Lord, for doubting this gal's intentions. Thank You for putting her in my path for a reason: to be both a blessing and a lesson. May she continue to shine brightly for You in her calling and I pray that many more are blessed by this sweet lady. In Jesus' name I pray, with head bowed low in shame but rising as I see the Light. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!