Monday, May 9, 2016

All Aboard!

Yesterday, my family and I enjoyed an afternoon of fun at Tweetsie Railroad.  It was our youngest grandson's first time and we were all excited to show him around and watch his face and hear his expressions of delight as this new world was opened up to him.

During a rare moment of having him to myself while the others rode the "big kid" rides, I scanned the crowd and saw this guy that made me think "Hey, that looks a lot like this fella I used to know.  Hmn."  About that time, my wandering eyes alighted upon this woman who was definitely his wife.  Delighted, I cried out her name and then...well, then it was kind of awkward.

Obviously, they were not there alone.  I mean, who goes to Tweetsie without kids, right?  Anyways, we did the usual "Hey, it's so good to see you" fluff and banter and then, did I mention it got awkward?  Sigh.  A while later, our paths crossed again but this time most of my family was with me.  We talked about our kids for a moment but as often happens at amusement parks, said kids want some quality time and attention with their caregivers so the conversation soon ended.

On the way home as Steve and I were alone once more, my great husband proved once again why he is my favorite and why I am not always as crazy as some one tries to whisper in my ear that I am.

"Uh, was the conversation strained or was it just my imagination" he asked of me.  Relieved that he too had noticed, we discussed our "reunion" with this couple and tried to decipher when the exact moment was that we had gone from being great friends who depended on one another for most things to these near strangers who really didn't seem to wish to be in the other couple's orbit.  "What happened anyways" Steve asked me?

Now, the old me would have immediately harped on things that were said, feelings that were deeply hurt, and betrayal that ran deep.  But you know what?  I couldn't find that old Stef!  As a matter of fact, I didn't want to.  Like in those movies you see sometimes where you are having a conversation with someone and the "heavenly you" observes from over your shoulder, I heard myself saying something to the effect of "I really don't remember.  Nor do I care to.  Those things were a while back and I have found when I dwell on my past, all too often it just hurts me.  And I'm tired of the devil constantly trying to steal my joy.  So, instead, Lover, it's buried somewhere deep inside and to be honest, I am not interested in trying to dig it up."

Like God promised His children in the book of Isaiah:
"Do not remember the former things,
Nor consider the things of old.
Behold, I will do a new thing..."
How wonderful He is to take those negative events and replace them with new:  new opportunities to build friendships that are sustainable; new folks who are mature enough to handle difficulties when they arise; and new...things!  He ends this verse with "Shall you not know it?"

Well, yes, Lord, I believe I shall!  There's a reason my past is behind me and the times I waste going back there are most often non-productive.  So, yes, Father, I want to know these new things, want to know You better, and want to know what real love is!  Thank You once again for fresh mercies each day.  You are the best!

I want to see the world with new eyes and enjoy experiences with fresh thoughts, much as my sweet gson did yesterday.  And while I will rely on my big brothers to sometimes show me the best things to look at, to ride, and of course to eat, I will mostly appreciate that I get to do so each time I make the oh-so-wise choice to press forward and strain toward the prize ahead and forget what is behind.  After all, who runs a race backwards?  I might not have started so well but let me tell you this, friends:  I intend to finish well!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!