Friday, May 6, 2016

Nip It In The Butt

My dear cousin  once misunderstood a quip from "The Andy Griffith Show."  Barney was saying that a situation called for action and action now.  "Nip it in the bud" he said and it's been an idiom many of us have repeated throughout the years.  Here's the scenario:
    • (Opie and other town boys have been doing mischief, including braking a street lamp)
      Barney: I don't like it. I don't like it one bit. I tell you this is just the beginnin': goin' around breakin' street lamps - city property, mind you. Next thing you know they'll be on motorcycles and wearin' them leather jackets and zoomin' around. They'll take over the whole town... a reign of terror!
      Andy: Barney, these are just boys you're talkin' about. They're only about 8 years old.
      Barney: yeah, well today's 8-year olds are tomorrow's teenagers. I say this calls for action and now. Nip it in the bud. First sign of youngsters goin' wrong you got to nip it in the bud!
      Andy: I'm gonna have a talk with 'em. Now what more do you want me to do?
      Barney: Well, just don't mollycoddle 'em.
      Andy: I won't.
      Barney: Nip it! You go read any book you want on the subject of child discipline and you'll find that every one of them is in favor of bud-nippin'.
      Andy: I'll take care of it.
      Barney: Only one way to take care of it.
      Andy: Nip it.
      Barney: In the bud.


Sherrie, bless her heart, thought it was "nip it in the butt" though so this rewritten quote has been used often in my household whenever appropriate.   The other night, it once again took on a new meaning, one that will be laughed at and pondered for many moons.

Steve and I were holding the hands of our youngest grandson between us.  Every few steps--on the count of three--we'd swing him up and enjoy his gleeful sounds of delight as he rose into the air, skipping over the ground below, and enjoying soaring to a new level.  After a few swings and to make it more interesting, we had our oldest gson stand in front of us and--on the count of three-we swung G into W's backside.  They both loved it and cackled out with loud laughter.  But we still had one more child to deal with who didn't want to miss out on any of the fun.  So, we had C assume the position and then--again, at the count of three--swung Tubs into C's rear end.  However, our aim was a little off (or perhaps his tush wasn't as big) and instead of making contact on the cushy part of his tiny little body, G's feet went into his back.

"Hey!  That hurt!"  C's little eyes were filled with pain--and indignation.

"Oh come on, Little Buddy.  You knew it was coming."  Steve and I both tried to cajole him into staying light-hearted about the event.

His response?  "Yeah, but I didn't know there'd be an ouch with it."

Ahh, the poor child.  He knew something was about to get him but he thought he could handle it.  He'd been set up--willingly, of course--but didn't realize that what often is seen as just fun and games can often have a consequence that might have painful results at the end (or in the end, I guess I could say).

Fast forward now with me, for just a moment, to Wednesday's Bible Study.  The girls and I were discussing sin and its consequences.  Oftentimes, folks mess up and though they know there will be repercussions they still feel that the little discomfort will be okay, won't be so bad, or won't have long-lasting effects.  Ahem.  

Are you tracking with me, sisters and brothers?  Oh yes, some parts of sin look alluring, seem basically harmless, and/or worth the risk.  But then comes the "Ouch" that was not expected.  The outcome did not turn out as anticipated.  The momentary high was quickly brought low as the pain settled in, taking us aback in its fierceness.

May I encourage you today to be thoughtful, to be wise, and to consider the long-term results of what looks like something pleasurable but might, just might, not be so groovy after all?  Don't get nipped in the butt, friends.  Stop poor choices before they become bruises that take a while to heal.

Let's pray!

Dear Father, thank You for experiences that allow me to see hidden truths.  Like my grandsons, I too just want to have fun.  I too want to laugh, to play, to enjoy the fellowship of my brethren.  Help me, I ask, to be on alert though for the things that are there to trip me up or cause me to stumble.  Too often the ones we trust the most are the ones who wind up hurting us.  Help me to be wary, I pray, so that I may not cause pain or suffer pain due to wily tricks the devil uses to steal my joy.  In the name of Jesus I pray.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!