Saturday, December 3, 2016

Son of Encouragement

20161201_122459.jpgHave you ever read the verse in Matthew 7:16 that says “By their fruits you will recognize them”?  Basically this means you can tell how someone really is by the way the world sees them through their actions.  This could further be explained by someone who really is a sports enthusiast.  This person lives, breathes, and dreams about a certain sport--say football--and you cannot be in his/her presence without hearing how great the Dallas Cowboys are, what a fine quarterback Dak Prescott is and how well he and Ezekiel Elliott mesh, and about Jerry Jones and Tony Romo and what they mean to the team.  

Now me, personally, I have been a Cowboys fan for quite a while now.  My loyalty is secure in them and has been since the days of Troy Aikman.  Jimmy Johnson?  One of the best coaches ever!  However, there are some folks whose favorite teams aren’t doing as well this year (ahem, Virginia) and they are seeking a new team to follow to the Super Bowl.  Why not jump on the Cowboy Bandwagon? Everyone knows they are America’s team, right?  And who doesn’t love a winner!  Also, there has been much hype about this connection that Ezekiel and Dak have found.  Their chemistry on the field is one for the record books, and justifiably so.  They are on a roll right now and they are the ones to watch.

So, what is this to me?  Well, as I said, I’ve been a diehard Cowboys fan for most of my life.  But as I was reading in Acts this week, another fella has stood out to me.  His name is Joses.  Never heard of him?  Or, like me, you kind of skimmed over his name in favor of the other giants (pun intended) like Peter and John?  That’s why it’s a good idea to pay better attention to the scriptures!  

I actually read this story earlier in the week but purposed to go back because of one phrase that really caught my eye:  “Son of Encouragement.”  Wow!  What a nickname.  Here, read it yourselves and see what I mean:

“And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles (which is translated Son of Encouragement), a Levite of the country of Cyprus,”

Now you know as well as I do that there are a lot of folks in the Bible who have done some powerful and wonderful things, as well as for those whose names are listed in a less-favorable way for things that...Well, let’s just say weren’t so great.  Did these peoples get nicknames?  Let’s see:  there was Jacob--the deceiver.  David--a man after God’s heart.  John--the disciple Jesus loved.  And who could forget the Sons of Thunder (I wonder if mom was alive to tell the tale what stories we would be privy to that caused them to achieve this nickname)?  What about Rahab--the harlot.  Ouch!  That one kind of stings, huh?

I’m sure there are many more but Joses (also translated as Joseph) must have really made some impression to the early disciples to be called Barnabas.  Wonder what he did that was so special?  My husband is referred to by a certain woman at church as “Smiley” because--you guessed it--he smiles a lot.  Was Joses a friendly fella?  He must’ve been.  Generous?  Oh yeah:  he sold his land and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet.  Do you think he was trying to buy his way into their good graces, to pay for their favor?  Mmmn, I don’t think so.  Although, I must say, being supportive is definitely a trait that draws others to you.  I mean, who doesn’t enjoy getting a high-five for a job well done or pats on the back after a harrowing speech or an understanding look when those around just don’t seem to get what you are trying to teach?

Barnabas went on to be named as an apostle and journeyed with Paul at times.  You can read more of his story as you wander through your studies and when you do, remember:  he was called the “Son of Encouragement.”  When people read your story (and trust me, although it may not be written down on parchment, you are still being known through your daily walk), what will they remember about you?  What nickname will come to mind?  Hopefully, it will be a positive one!  And if for some reason you have been stuck with a label that is no longer appropriate for who you are now?  My prayer is that God will allow you to be used to show your new name that has been written down in glory and that you too will be honored with a name that brings a smile to those who hear it.

Let’s pray now!

Dear Lord, in my own life I have been called many names, some of which are still hurtful as I recall them.  Yet through Your great mercy and love, those names no longer apply to me and I get to be known as Your child.  Ahh, what a relief there is in being called a Christian, for it means I have been with You!

Father, for those who are still hindered by their pasts, I ask a special blessing today for them.  May they be seen through Your eyes as others look upon them today?  May Your light shine through them so that, as Brandon Heath sang, others can see that they too aren’t who they used to be:  that in You, they are a new creation?  


Thank You, Lord, for lessons in life.  Although we cannot rewrite history, we can change how we will be remembered and how we are known.  May we find our strength and our well-being in You is my prayer today, Lord.  I love You so much!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!