Saturday, November 26, 2016

Thumbs Up?

2016-11-26  Thumbs up.jpgWhen I write, I can better focus on God.  The occasional squirrel may continue to distract and the rabbit chasing may continue, but they are a smaller colony than if I just let my mind wander without any direction.  With either pen or pencil in hand, or fingers firmly planted on the keyboard, my thoughts take direction and even though these fingers aren’t as nimble as they once were, they do their best to keep up with the rampant thoughts that meander through my mind as I wander and wonder about God.

The other night during one of our Bible Studies, I had to just stop and stare at my thumb.  It was not cooperating and I was mesmerized as I just stared and glared at it.  Why was it holding me back?  Did it not know that there were words that needed to be penned?  The audacity of it to just quit; to just go numb.  Why would it not move?!

As I kept studying it, willing it to come back to life, I had to slow my thoughts down and try to make them stay at bay until they could become these great words of art that needed to be immortalized.  That in turn led my wandering mind to the question “By whom, Stef?  Who really needs to read these words?”

Wow!  It’s bad enough when friends betray you but when your own self won’t even support you?  Ffff!

So, between my unruly thumb and my unkind mind, my fingers have not been producing blogs lately because I am conflicted about why I even bother.  I mean seriously, how many people are even reading these works of heart (notice how I made that rhyme with my earlier statement of “words of art”)?  

I know of One.  Almost always two but definitely the One.  

As I read in Acts this morning about some guy named Jason, my eyes were drawn to the footnotes.  I tell you what:  this Life Application Study Bible (New King James Version, Large Print, published by Tyndale) sure has some great reference notes!  Often I find myself encouraged by them as I seek a greater understanding of what I read or am about to read.  But I stray (see what I mean about those rabbits?!).  Jason was this fella who quietly stood up and stood for what he believed to be truth.  As Paul made his way about Thessalonica, he and Silas were hosted by Jason.  Later, Jason had to post bond when the Jewish leaders weren’t tracking with the message these saints of God were trying to share, even though it could potentially cost him his property and/or his life.  Read Acts 17: 1-9 for this story and for those of you who do not have the Study Bible that I use, let me share these thoughts with you from the study notes provided:

  • Paul spoke to the people on the level that they were at.  He began with the Old Testament, finding common ground with them, then affirming what they knew before going on to new truths.
  • Those who were against the teachings of Paul and Silas and their popularity were the ones who caused riots because they were rooted in their own personal jealousies instead of the pure doctrine.
  • Jason is one of those many (perhaps even like you and hopefully like me) unsung heroes of the Bible who was faithful in doing his part to spread the Word.
  • This one should have a star beside of it because it is what thrilled my soul this morning, and I quote:  “You may not receive much attention (in fact, you may receive only grief) for your service for Christ.  But God wants to use you.  Lives will be changed because of your courage and faithfulness.”
  • Later, in verse 16, the footnote reminds me that Paul used his internal conflict for positive opportunities to share Jesus--for you see, “his spirit was provoked within him”  (like mine often is!!).

As Paul continued teaching and reaching the folks who were at Athens, he wasn’t always met with open arms.  However there were some great scholars there who did listen to him, questioned him, and wanted to hear more.  Sadly though (as I find myself wondering if this should be my life verse) there were others who said, “‘What does this babbler want to say?’” This is found in verse 18.  Paul then went on to teach them about their unknown God and showed them his.  The encouragement from verse 32?  Priceless!  Let me quote it for you:

And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked, while others said, “We will hear you again on this matter.”

I don’t know how many of you are out there who have “liked” Wandering Through The Bible actually still read it, just occasionally glance at my pictures/quotes/memes and go on, or who maybe secretly read it but just never comment on it.  But regardless of this and of how often the devil tries to tell me I am a fool, I’m still going to keep writing and posting.  Not just for you--although my sincere desire is to share Christ with you--but because when I write, I can better focus on God.  The occasional squirrel may continue to distract and the rabbit chasing may continue, but they are a smaller colony than if I just let my mind wander without any direction.  With either pen or pencil in hand, or fingers firmly planted on the keyboard, my thoughts take direction and even though these fingers aren’t as nimble as they once were, they do their best to keep up with the rampant thoughts that meander through my mind as I wander and wonder about God.  

My audience of One is why I write.  My number one supporter who often tells me he misses being inside of my head is also a major reason I continue this blog because iron sharpens iron and we need each other to stay strong.  And for those of you who actually do spend your precious time reading this and not just clicking a sporadic “like” every once in a while to humor me?  Thanks!  I mean this.  I know I can be long-winded at times but my hope is that these words will bless and encourage you to seek what it is that you need to make your walk with Christ a better one.  If I can do that for even one of you, then my labor is not in vain.  And when I do it with God as my intended critic?  Then maybe I can be a Jason too.  A girl can dream, right?  

Let’s pray!

Dear Lord, as I strive to write down my thoughts and share them publically, I must keep in mind that it is Your approval, Your “likes” that matter most, and that I won’t be admired, accepted, or acknowledged by those whom I falsely seek affirmation in.  


Oh Lord:  keep my pride at bay as I continue the minute by minute struggle to stay focused on You and the works You would have me to do.  Constantly remind me, I beg, to remember that this life is not about me.  It’s You and You alone Who deserves all the fame and acclaim.  And You are where my hope is found.  I place my hope, my dreams, and my self in You, Lord God, through Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!