Thursday, August 4, 2016

Become Complete

Com·plete (adjective)  
: having all necessary parts : not lacking anything
: not limited in any way
: not requiring more work : entirely done or completed

Okay, most of you know I have a song going through my head at all times and if not a song, there’s usually some excerpt or quote that I can pair up with any situation at hand.  That being said, please watch this scene from the movie “Jerry Maguire.”

Pretty sweet, huh?  Now, take a few--four to be exact--seconds to watch this scene from “Austin Powers:  International Man of Mystery.”  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcerV0AO0bM  

While not as pull-at-your-heartstrings-touching as was Jerry’s declaration to Dorothy, it still had an effect on its audience.  It also reminds me of that Michael Bolton song “Completely” as he croons about his need:
Completely
Not half but whole
With heart and soul
Completely not in between
But everything
Completely
That's the way it's got to be

Sometimes I find myself searching for...for that someone, that soul mate, that best friend who totally gets me yet loves me anyways.  I seek someone who understands me, who supports me, and who knows what I’m thinking even when words aren’t used.  For the most part, I have this in my husband but...but he can’t always be with me for that boost that I yearn for, for that affirmation I desire, and for those times when I just plain out need whatever hole I’ve dug myself into for someone to reach down and pick me up out of.  So, I seek for completion in doing crafts, watching movies, reading books, planning events for my church, cooking, eating, and anything else that I feel might finally fill that empty spot inside of me that aches to be filled.  

Neil Diamond once sang one of the saddest songs I have ever heard called “I Am I Said.”  I can’t hardly listen to it without tearing up most times.  Read the following haunting verse:  

But I got an emptiness deep inside
And I've tried
But it won't let me go
And I'm not a man who likes to swear
But I never cared
For the sound of being alone

As I was reading my Bible this morning, I came across this portion of a verse in II Corinthians 13:11.  Two words but oh, how they struck a chord in me this morning!  What were they?  “Become complete.”  That emptiness Neil sang of?  Oh yeah:  I feel it too!

We already read the definition for “complete” so we kind of know what we are talking about but as I focus on the first word, “become,” I had to know its definition also for full comprehension.  It means “to begin to be or come to be something specified: to begin to have a specified quality” (per Merriam-Webster).

To wrap this all up, as God’s children we are to begin to be not limited, to not require any more work.  Yep, I too muttered in my head “Uh oh” as I realized that I’ve got such a long way to go.  But then again, you know what?  That’s why I--and you--needed a Saviour.  And we didn’t just need Him once:  we need Christ Jesus to continually save us.  From ourselves, from the world, and from the evil one who wants us to continue to feel less than, not good enough, and alone.  Day by day, minute by minute.  So, as I close this blog, I have one last song to run through your head today to let you know--and to remind myself--that no, we are not home yet but that’s okay.  Why?  Because…

He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.
It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars,
The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars.
How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me.

There really ought to be a sign upon the heart,
Don't judge her yet, there's an unfinished part.
But I'll be perfect just according to His plan
Fashioned by the Master's loving hands.

He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.
It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars,
The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars.
How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me.

In the mirror of His Word reflections that I see
Make me wonder why He never gave up on me.
He loves me as I am and helps me when I pray
Remember He's the Potter, I'm the clay.

Pray with me?

Dear Lord, Your incomplete daughter is reaching out to You again this morning.  Father, I started this blog off a little disconsolate as I felt the weight of so many pressures on my heart but as I wrote, I was encouraged by Your Word, by the songs that show me that I am not perfect but that that’s okay because You are indeed still working on me.  I’m sure that I take up a lot of Your time!  Thank You, though, for not giving up, for not letting go, and for reminding me that what You began You will complete.  While I may often feel alone and disheartened by those around me, You never leave my side.  Help me, Lord God, to allow You to be enough for me and to not so desire the accolades and friendships of the world.  They continuously will let me down, Lord, and the devil will constantly throw those losses in my face.  May I seek completion in You and You alone is my plea today, Lord, and I earnestly ask it in the name of Jesus.  I believe Your Word to be all I need.  Help my unbelief is my prayer.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!