Thursday, August 18, 2016

Son, Go Bring My Children Home

Ephesians 3 14-19.jpg

The other day, this kid I know was mesmerized by my sunflowers.  They’ve grown so much these past two months and he wanted to know just how big the biggest one was.  He borrowed a tape measure from Steve and went out to get the specs.  A few minutes later, he came in and told me about the width and height of my sunflower.  After agreeing with him that it was probably the largest one out there, we went on about our business and I just chalked it up as to natural curiosity and “what will they think of next” questions that kids ask.

But then today, in my personal Bible study this morning, I came upon these verses from Ephesians 3:14-19:

For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Of Whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man;
That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

As I too ponder on the wonders of God, of creation, these verses show that man has been pondering them for centuries.  The breadth, length, depth, and height of the love of God is unfathomable, isn’t it?  The Grand Canyon, The Sedona, and the Rocky Mountains were places I was fortunate enough to visit earlier this spring.  I am blessed to live in the mountains of North Carolina and their beauty is one I consistently marvel at.  Don’t even get me started on the sunrises and gorgeous sunsets I get to witness as often as I take the time to do so!

But all of this beauty is nothing compared to the amazement I have that God loves me, that He chose me knowing how rotten I was and how much my inadequacies would hold me back from being all He wants me to be.  I’ve struggled for years with issues of not being good enough.  I’ve felt a void in my life for as long as I can remember, a sense of not being whole.  Day by day, that hole is being filled yet it also is growing at the same time.  The love and lessons I learn through creation, through studying God’s Word, and spending time with His people fills my soul with those good, true, noble, lovely, pure, and admirable things He has designed for me.  However, until I am united with God, that sense of emptiness will never go away.  The feeling of being incomplete will not change until my Lord calls me home and I get to snuggle up next to Him, hear His stories from His own mouth, hold His hand in mine, and just bask in the presence of my Lord and Saviour.  Ahh, what a day that will be!

Let’s pray.

Dear Father, I again thank You for my sunflowers.  Who knew what a tiny packet of seeds would produce in my life?  

You did, of course!  So many lessons You have taught me this summer, Father, about life, about growth, and about beauty in all its forms.  While down here we as man will continue trying to label and calculate all the good things You give, we will fall short because Your love cannot be measured.  Oh for the day You call us to You, God, when You say to Jesus, “Son, go bring My children home for I want them gathered ‘round my throne.  It’s time to reap the harvest You have sown.  Son, go bring My children home.”

Even so, come Lord Jesus.  It’s in Your precious name I pray.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!