Monday, August 22, 2016

The Comforter Abides With Me

August 22.jpg
It appears to be all the rage nowadays.  Service animals.  It seems I cannot go hardly anywhere these days without some sort of animal being in my vicinity.  Honestly?  It makes me mad.  I don’t like animals on a good day and I certainly don’t want them where I am shopping for groceries, roaming the aisles next to me in other stores, and definitely do not want them in my space while I am eating out at a restaurant.  I don’t think they are cute, adorable in their little outfits, nor do I stop and pet them and ooh and ahh over them.  

Now please, don’t get me wrong.  I am not referring to the animals who are genuinely needed to assist handicapped folks--such as the blind and those who suffer from seizures.  But those who are around for “emotional support” and “comfort” I have quite the opposite opinion about.  They aren’t even slightly regulated by the ones who bring them in.  No leashes, no confinement brace.  They roam freely and make me antsy as I wonder just how well--if at all--they have been trained.  On Saturday, at Lowe’s, this woman was getting a buggy as Steve and I were getting ready to enter the store.  She put her two little dogs in there and I just sighed.  Then, as we got into the store itself and there were two employees standing there, I was curious as to how this would be handled.  There was a sign saying service animals are allowed but this?  Well, you tell me.  

The woman came in all in a gush as she raved to the men, “They just had to come to Lowe’s again.  It’s their favorite store!  They get mad at me when I don’t bring them here at least once a week.”  Oh my cow.  Is she serious?  I’ve heard of dog whisperers and such but really:  they will pout and not love her if she doesn’t bring them to the store?  Do they have a doggie allowance to spend on indoor supplies to make their lives better?  Will they unfriend her on Facebook if she refuses to take them where they want to go?

Sigh.  

I tried to let my sweet Stef think about this for a moment.  I wondered what loss this woman may have suffered in her life that made her need these animals to give all of her affection to.  I pondered if she had a lonely life that made her revolve her whole world around them.  I even asked myself if she indeed did have a condition that required her to have these canines with her at all times so that she wouldn’t fall apart.  

Okay, this probably isn’t going over well with you animal lovers and my intention is not to upset you nor start a debate on this topic.  Instead, I want to share with you my Comforter.  No, He’s not a service animal and I don’t keep Him on a leash.  He isn’t registered nor does He have any papers to prove He’s necessary in my life.  Oh wait:  yes He does!  They’re called the pages of my Bible.  Why, just a few moments ago as I was reading, I couldn’t help but caress the softness of the pages.  I must say, it was indeed a comfort to feel the power beneath my fingertips as my eyes absorbed the truths and promises and instructions for my daily living.  The familiarity of the passage I was reading brought me a peace, a solace, and I just sat there for a few moments rubbing them and letting them soak into me.  

Oh how I wish others could take advantage of this Comforter!  The need for outside remedies is at a high point as prescriptions are written daily for nerves, fears, and help in dealing with life.  Jesus said:  And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever…

Oh Lord God, how we turn to so many other things to try to give us the consolation that only You can fill in us!  Lord?  Here’s what I ask for today:  I ask that You strengthen Your men and women who know better and grant them a boldness to speak to others about You.  May our lips sing Your praises and tell others about Your healing powers.  May we be gentle, yes, but may we stop avoiding the real issues our friends and loved ones are going through and just ask, just talk to them, instead of brushing them aside as we stay caught up in our own miseries.  We don’t have to be miserable!  We don’t have to fear, to fret, to wonder what tomorrow holds.  You abide in us, Lord, and it’s time we start acting like it!

May we rejoice in You today and may our lights so shine that Jesus is all that is seen is my earnest prayer, asked in His reassuring name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!