Sunday, August 28, 2016

Moments

1997-11 Blasts from the Past.jpg

Ahh, family pictures.  Such great reminders of times past when things were…

When things were what?  Happier?  Simpler?  

Yes!  Contrary to the devil’s trying to make me sad and think my whole past was rotten, there were some good times spent with those who brought me into this world and helped to raise me and then later procreated themselves to continue a legacy that--in spite of the devil’s best intentions--lives on through the next generation and offers hope for more pictures like this one with their kids and grandkids, more nieces and nephews, and lots and lots of love.

This photograph is from 1997.  Nearly twenty years ago and so much has changed.  You see the first three women on the left?  The lady with her arm extended?  That’s my Aunt Bo.  She’s reaching to her mother, my grandmother:  Mom.  And just below her?  That’s my sister-in-law Christina.  What’s so special about these five ladies?  Sigh.  Sadly, they have all passed on.  Today marks the eighth year of Mary’s victory.  Mom was next.  And then my sweet Bo.  In a week, the death of my mother will be in its fourth year of her loss.  And Christina?  Not quite a year ago she left us for greener pastures.

Notably missing in this picture is my dad, who died a month before Mary did eight years ago.  He was off on one of his annual hunting trips, which he tended to take around Thanksgiving.  That explains in part why we were all happy in this picture.  I’m not being mean but he tended to be a hard man at times and when he wasn’t around?  Things were just more pleasant for us all.

Also missing from this picture is one of my nieces who was a bit camera shy  Besides, someone had to take the picture!  My Aunt’s son is also not here.  I can’t recall why right now.  

Were this picture to be “re-created” today, there would be an additional twenty-five folks in it.  We’d definitely need a wide-lens camera for that!  Plus, we’d have to find a mutual meeting place since our matriarchs are all gone now and many of us have grown so far apart.  It’s a nice thought though:  to think of my remaining sister and her family, Mary’s family, Billy’s family, and my uncle and cousins--along with my own brood--to gather, to eat a big meal, to watch some football (go Cowboys!!), and to watch our children play together.  To think that these kids would learn from our lessons better how to love, how to forgive, how to family.  Ahh.  Perhaps one day.


Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.

Psalm 127:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!