Friday, March 25, 2016

Deflection

Deflection.  That word has been bandied about much lately and so I thought I'd add my two cents (and you thought I had no sense!) to the conversation.  As always, feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.

Two things happened last night that I want to share with you on this topic.  The first was on the way home from suppers with Steve.  I had mentioned to him something he's been doing lately that I want him to stop participating in.  Always wanting and willing to please me, he immediately agreed and we left the restaurant.  However, on the way home, he said something to me, trying to be "funny" that really got my goat.  Not because of the sentiment, mind you, but because that's how tricky the devil is:  he wants to cause and wreak havoc where peace abides.  

I told my love that at this stage in our lives, our marriage is too great to have these quiet darts be shot at us and I was not going to stand for them.  Even though the comment was made in jest, it was a way of deflecting back to me that I had told him something to do and you know us humans:  we can't stand to be accused of a fault without some sort of witty comeback or seek some form of retribution.  He agreed, apologized, and mostly commented he wasn't even aware of trying to hurt me; just--again--trying to be funny.

The second thing happened on a television show we watch, "House of Cards."  Spoiler alert for those of you still catching up:  stop reading if you don't want to know how this season ends.  The Underwoods have been caught; their misdeeds are about to be broadcast to the whole world as the presidential election is just ahead.  As they sit and ponder what they did wrong, how they had not covered their tracks, and just what--if anything--could be done, an idea came to them.  No way, mister, were they going to ride off quietly into that wide blue yonder, nor was there anyway in Hades they were going to give an account for their wrongs.  Unh unh:  not these two egotistical politicians.  So, they took advantage of a current hostage situation and used it to their benefit, meanwhile casting all attention off of selves and onto a world event that would keep the country's mind elsewhere.  

Do you remember in the Bible when--after He had been resurrected when Jesus met with the disciples on the shore of the Sea of Galilee--the words our Saviour spoke to Peter in John 21:15-17?  He asked him, 
"Simon son of John, do you love Me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "You know that I love You." Jesus said, "Feed My lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you love Me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, You know that I love You." Jesus said, "Take care of My sheep." The third time He said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love Me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love Me?" He said, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You." Jesus said, "Feed My sheep."
No more deflecting from Peter.  No more passing the buck or denying the issue at hand.  Jesus Christ instead deflected (which, by the way means "the act of changing or causing something to change direction; a turning aside" per Merriam-Webster.com) Peter's perspective to line up to His.  Funny how He does that, huh?  How Christ Jesus fights on our behalf for us--not against us?  

Read my pictured scripture again:  
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.  (Ephesians 6:12)
Do you see it friends?  All those times when we have quarrels and misunderstandings, those many hurtful words we say to one another in attempts to be "helpful," and the innuendos that take place to make us question what was said versus what we implied?  Those battles aren't ours!  Sure, our own immaturity can cause us to strike back when our feelings are provoked but what we need to do instead is go to Jesus.  We need to remember His commands to us--the second greatest which is to love one another.  I know you know the first one, right?  If we will do these two great biddings from our Lord then maybe we won't have to spend so much time wrestling and instead can rest at His feet, as Mary did, which is the better part.  Sounds good to me!

Let's pray!

Dear Lord, how wonderful are Your Words to me.  Sing them over and over again to me, these wonderful words of life!  Words of life and beauty, teach me faith and duty.  Beautiful words, wonderful words:  wonderful words of life.

Father, please help me to not strike back when my dander gets raised.  Help me to turn the other cheek when I am reviled and to not strike back, to not plot evil nor think of ways to pay back the one who offended me. May my heart be like Yours, ready to see the good, willing to feed the sheep and to not let them stray with the winds of the world.  Mostly, Lord, help me to love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength for You are worthy.  Deflect my poor attitude towards Your kind Spirit is my prayer today, asked in the name of Jesus my Lord.  Amen.




2 comments:

  1. Stephanie!!! This could not have come at a more perfect time. The Lord knew I needed to hear these words today. Thank you, sweet sister-in-Christ for sharing your heart, for rebuking AND edifying the body, and for always, ALWAYS bringing everything back around to the Lord! I love you, dear friend! {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Anne. I have been struggling with this subject and as I begin my new blog today, knowing that there are folks like you out reading and responding helps to make me more careful and more considerate of the words I use. Please continue praying for me to to not make a mess out of the message!

      Delete

Thank you for taking your time to read today!