Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Chosen One

Spoiled. Brat. Rotten. The favorite.

Rotten to the core? Spoiled brat!

Hey now: let's not call names! The first three were okay but to be rotten to my core, to where Jesus is--and make no mistake, He's there. You just have to get around a lot of flesh to find Him.

In all seriousness, I have never felt highly favored by a parent in my life. Or by a teacher. Or as a leader or contributor to a class, project, or the like. But lately, lately I have begun to see myself through a different set of eyes and you know what? I like them! I like those eyes that see my best, my true intentions, and my desire to please. I like those eyes that look ahead of me and keep me from danger. Those eyes that scope out my pathway before I even trod on it. The eyes that behold the beauty, checking it over for one last look, before presenting itself to me. Ahh yes, those are the eyes I like to be seen through.

Case in point. Last night was date night for Steve and me. We had it all planned. Supper at The Pie Hole and then we were going to the Mimosa 7 to see the new Risen Movie. As we pulled up to the restaurant, I remarked how I hoped those sprinkles would hold off until we finished eating and got to the movie without getting drenched. "It's one thing to go home bedraggled but quite another to sit through the movie all soaking wet," I told my hubby. After explaining what bedraggled meant, we then enjoyed our pizza and made our way back to town as the raindrops once again began in earnest.

"Oh, wouldn't it be so nice if the Lord gave us an upfront parking spot" I asked Steve. "We are His favorites, you know."

I'm such a princess, huh? Well, as we made our way down the street, it didn't appear that that was going to be the case so I pulled into the left lane and put Celine in park when, lo and behold, to our right, there it was: an upfront parking spot! As traffic cleared, I made my way over, hoping to dodge those raindrops that were still thinking about giving me a shower (and it not even Saturday night! ). Ta da! Mission accomplished. We made it inside with little fanfare, little wetness, and happy hearts.

"Wow, Stef, I'll bet once you got inside, you gave God your highest praises for treating you so royally, didn't you."

I'm embarrassed to admit it but, no I did not. I murmured a hasty "Thanks, God" and went on my merry way to the popcorn counter.

But it bothered me. Through the movie and through the night and on the drive to Morganton again today, I was reminded of how my Lord treats me like such a princess and I? I am rotten. A brat. Spoiled by His goodness. For you see, had He not made the way clear last night, don't you think I would have spent a lot more time, chewing His ear off as to why He hadn't let us get into the movie dryly so we could enjoy it better? Don't you think on the drive home with the heat blasting as I tried to dry off that I would be uttering some not so nice things as to why I was so persecuted and couldn't even enjoy my date night without something trying to ruin it?

Oh my.

Zephaniah 3:17 states that "...He will take great delight in you..."

What a kind Father we have! What a wonderful Dad to take care of His ungrateful kids. What love He has bestowed upon us to call us His own. Funny thing I noticed the other day. You know in the Bible where it talks about...well, never mind: read it for yourselves ;) from Mark 10: 
“Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life."

For much of my life I thought I'd get a new family but...do you see it? I didn't until the other day, though I've read this passage numerous times. I will get brothers, sisters, and mothers but...Do you see it now? No mention of a new father. Hmn hmn hmn. Why? Pretty obvious if you ask me (although yes, it has taken me 52 years to see it). We don't get a new dad 'cause we already have the best Father ever. Period.

So, the next time you see me and I'm acting a bit puffed up and full of myself, remember this: while God loves you, I am His favorite! Kidding! Sort of. He loves me as if I was His only one. He does you this way too. Makes us pretty special, huh, if even we do smell a little rotten once in a while. ;)

Let's pray!

Dear Fa--, no Dear Dad. Daddy. Ooh, that's a tough word for me to write, Lord God. To think of You as my Daddy, my Protector, the One Who will indeed grant me the desires of my heart is a tough concession for me to make. Not because You have failed, oh no. But, You and I both know the faults and failures of my earthly father and Lord? You are so much different, so much better than He ever was or dreamt of being!

How I love You! Not just because You kept me dry last night and gave me the prime parking spot. Not just because You take such good care of me and grant me so many wishes and not because You have given me the three best grandsons, husband, daughter, and SIL. I love You because...because I didn't know how to love before You came along, Daddy. I didn't know how to express my feelings without thinking they had to be bartered for and begged upon to be validated.

I love You, God, for this and for so much more. Thank You for allowing me to see me as You do: not perfect, not a brat. But definitely as Your favored child. I cannot wait to see You and better express my delight in having You as my Father! The taste You have given to me now is sweet and oh Lord: I crave more of it. When my soul is resting in Your presence, I'll be satisfied. Until then, though, please keep looking out for me, looking ahead for me, and seeing within me the righteousness of Your Son Jesus. May I be ever more like Him is my prayer. Amen.

PS: in case you, like my sweet hubby, don't know the definition for bedraggled, Webster defines it as this: wet or dirty from being in rain or mud. Now you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!