Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Oh yes: I've heard of you.



Ooh, don't you just love it when the Scriptures come alive and you find something you have probably read many times but for some reason today you see it in a different light?! I must share this with you--yes you!! Read on: I think you will be pleased.

Galatians 1:22-24 states: And I was unknown by face to the churches of Judea which were in Christ. But they were hearing only, “He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destroy.” And they glorified God in me.

Does your reputation often proceed you, friends? If so, is it a good report, a partial truth, or is your past laid out for all to see and judge? "Oh yeah: I know HER. Why she's the world's biggest..." Mmn hmn. You know what I mean. Read the verses again and see what Paul faced.
  1.  "I was unknown by face to the churches of Judea"
  2.  "they were hearing only, “He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destroy.”"
Did you get it that time? They were only hearing who Paul formerly was but that now he preaches the faith he once tried to destroy. Woo hoo! Paul got his slate wiped clean! His record was sealed. Because he repented of his evil works, God was now being glorified in him. The Judeans had not seen Paul but oh yes, they most certainly had heard of him. But guess who they listened to? Not his accusers. Oh no. Someone gave Paul a second chance and was spreading his newfound fame as a believer in Christ Jesus who preached the faith. Oh to have friends and witnesses like these folks! Better still, to be the friend who builds up new Christians rather than kicking them while they are down and/or learning from their mistakes.

Will our pasts often leave a bitter taste is some's mouths? Most definitely. Thus, I suggest to you who are in the process of putting your pasts behind you, perhaps maybe you need to leave some folks there too. Find those who are in the business of restoration and fresh starts. I think you will be happier in the present anyway, don't you?

Let's pray!

Dear Lord, thank You for showing me new things in Your Word when I take the time to study. And, thank You for letting all things work together for good, for it was just yesterday a situation similar to Paul's was discussed as some of us reflected on the positive changes seen in a woman's life that many of us had been praying for. Your Word is indeed alive!

Help me to not be a grudge holder, Lord, nor one who looks for opportunities to accuse but rather teach me to be an encourager and one who uplifts. I ask this in the precious name of Jesus my Saviour. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!