Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Convinced


Romans 8 38-39.JPG
Convinced.  That’s a strong word, do you agree?  It’s as though an argument has been presented and one was persuaded or had the incident proven and thereby was made certain of the facts.  


My grandsons often need convincing.  When I make a dish they are unfamiliar with, they won’t just take my word for it on how wonderful it is.  They look it over to see if it appeals to them.  They sniff it, cautiously approach it, and with the right amount of cajoling, they might try just one tiny little bite.  However, at supper last night, I noticed something that gave me pause.  Daddy was there and he told--not offered--his oldest son to try a bite of what he was eating.  Now whether it’s because it was Dad offering it and one just automatically does what his father says to do or because it met the above criteria, I am still not sure.  What I do know is that W willingly took a bite with very little hesitation and then made up his mind about the food item.


His younger brother was given the same command.  However, he took one look at the food, fervently shook his head no while pointing to the food he was still chewing on in his mouth, and declined.  He did look curiously at his brother to see his response and maybe that was part of why he chose to not participate in this “argument” this time.  Daddy didn’t press the issue and that was the end of the Bratwurst Experiment.  I daresay if Dad had had some chocolate dessert on his fork that the middle son would have quite easily agree to give it a chance.  Mmn hmn.  Something with cocoa on it makes anything look enticing and one would be hard pressed to be convinced that it wasn’t a good choice.  


So, now that you are craving Bratwurst and Chocolate Creme Pie, let’s get to today’s verses from Romans 8:38-39.  Most of you have claimed these promises after having accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, but let’s look at them through wary eyes of one who has been in the faith for a while and finds herself questioning it at times.  


As a new Christian, I was apt to believe everything someone spiritual told me.  For, after all, they knew, right?  They had been around the block, worn out their Bibles, and knew all the best preachers.  They knew chapter and verse the passages that soothed the soul or convicted it, the ones that brought relief in times of sorrow and hope in the times of fear.  Why wouldn’t I believe them when they tried to help me grow?  I hungrily feasted on their words, their testimonies, and didn’t question it in the least.


Fast-forward to an older (ahem, no need to ask how many decades older) and wiser (at times) believer.  I’m a bit more jaded, more leery of just believing words spouted off by someone who claims to be in the faith.  I now question more and research for myself what has been told to me rather than taking everything at face value.  Besides, there is so much out there for me to use to study with.  So many have offered their advice, their knowledge and wisdom, and their many years of delving deeply into the Scriptures.  And yet... yet I often hesitate to just take these words to be truth because mere man wrote them, expounded upon them, or haphazardly threw them out there.


I’ve been called cynical before and that would be an accurate title for me.  Just earlier today I read of Hillary Clinton’s debacle of being found guilty of a crime yet no punishment being handed down to her.  To say this causes great concern for the integrity of my government would be an understatement.  Am I convinced that this woman should be our next American president?  No.  I am not.  But I fear she will be.  Are fear and conviction the same?  No.  Are acceptance and belief the same?  Hardly.  Where am I even going with all of this?  Beats me, so let’s wrap it up with this next statement:


For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


Even when my leaders in high places don’t do what is right, even when I am told to try something with the unspoken expectation that I will like it, and even when death comes by way of taking life or just by killing what was once alive in relationships, I do believe that nothing can keep me from God.  Yes, I still hesitate about fully accepting that the verse says in actuality “that...nothing can separate us from the LOVE of God” (emphasis mine).  I am convinced that I will spend eternity with Him and He will make all of this muddled fluff in my mind clear.  Good thing He’ll have so much time with me, huh?


Let’s pray!


Dear Lord God in heaven:


Whew!  Did any of what I just wrote make sense?!  Lord, the thoughts that go through this ol’ noggin are so convoluted at times that I wonder why You don’t just clear them up before they come out of my fingers for me to share with others.  


Father, thank You for choosing me to be Yours. Thank You for convincing me that I was in desperate need of a Saviour--and always will be.  Thank You mostly though, Lord, for providing Jesus for me.  While my world often seems on the brink of self-destruct, those powers that be are waging wars that I am only a slight pawn in.  Remind me when I get upset to see that these battles aren’t mine and often are just used to try to make me stumble and quit.  I won’t quit, Lord.  I am in the race and plan to see You at the finish line, not along the path somewhere where I threw my hands up and just quit because it got too tough.


Strengthen me, I ask, and keep Your Word ever before me.  And yes, keep those who share it along my journey as well so that I may be further convinced of Your Truths in the areas that matter most.  In the name of Jesus I ask these things, amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!