Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Smart Phones Don't Make You A Smart Person



Snapshot_20161102 (22).jpg


File this one under the “Who’s The Dummy Now?” folder.  Seriously.

This morning as I was quasi-awake but not quite wanting to face reality, a nagging thought, a tiny whisper really, kept echoing in my mind:  go check your bank balance.  Unable to shake it, I gave up those last hopes of much-needed beauty sleep and got up.  I (of course) went to the bathroom, did my business, washed my hands, and sat down to my computer.  Can you imagine my dismay and shock as I saw where nearly $400.00 in bank fees had been charged to my credit card?  Oh my cow!!  That earlier whisper had been right!!

I closely examined my charges, realized what mistake had been done, and sure enough:  it was my fault.  While fighting down the instinct to panic and tempering it with what a valued customer I was, I rationalized to myself and then later to Steve that I thought the bank would surely waive the fees since it was an honest mistake and no harm had been done.  And if they didn’t?  Well, we’d just transfer our funds (what was left of them, anyways)  to another one!

Long story short, my bank did indeed waive my fees.  They admonished me gently that the next time I tried to do something on my own, that perhaps they could better assist me and no penalties would be added to my account.  I humbly took the sweet representative’s advice and assured her that I would do just that.  No more relying on my smart phone with its tiny little words that my feeble eyes can’t always discern.  Oh sure:  I rely on this modern technology to keep me updated on all the latest things and people and news and so on but you know what?  There’s nothing like real, good, true, one-on-one conversation with someone who is on the other end of the line, waiting to assist me, wanting to hear my story, and offering to help get me out of whatever bind I have most recently gotten myself into--or preventing me from blundering in the first place!

Sounds kind of like Jesus, doesn’t it?  How many times do I start my day off reading a devotion by some writer, and then later reading a couple more of them in my email, “liking” the memes posted by my friends that show a verse of the day or some other uplifting quote and/or picture to encourage me that I should be at peace and happy and blissful as I bask in the knowledge that God loves me?  And while there is nothing wrong with these venues, there is no replacement for the Word of God, The Holy Bible.  When I go to It, there I get the personal touch and words of my God, straight from the top, if you will.  I read His commands, His directions, and read of His infinite love and patience through the stories He allowed to be written for my edification.  I can speak to Him directly through prayer and know that my “call” goes through every time, that I don’t have to worry if wi-fi is available, and mostly?  There are no overage charges with God!  My minutes don’t expire.  My data is not capped.  Why, my every thought has already been sifted through His capable hands so I don’t even have to worry about my SD card not having enough space on it nor my phone’s memory running out.  Ha!  I don’t even have to worry about recharging my battery because my Power Source is unlimited in the things He can take care of.

Lesson learned, Stef.  Just as my smart phone can’t make me smarter, neither can half-hearted attempts on my part make me more like Christ.  I have to apply myself to Him, not just to the icing (as my pastor likes to call it).  Although I do love the icing, it’s the cake, the Christ, that makes me full.  

Rejoice with me as I thank God for this blessing and lesson?  Thanks!

Oh dear Lord, how You must shake Your head at these kids of Yours, kids like me who often have to keep repeating the same lessons over and over, while You sit back, not saying “I told you so” but instead giving us the opportunity to finally get it right.

Thank You for the return of the money I nearly lost in my haste to do things on the road with my phone instead of slowing down and making sure all was the way it should have been.  Thank You for the love of my husband who did not rant and rail at me for my carelessness and who--even though I said “There goes my Christmas presents for this year”--continuously shows me patience and forbearance.  He’s so much like You, Lord!  Thank You for his example to me.

Mostly though, God, I want to thank You for mercy.  It’s there when I mess up financially, physically, personally, and spiritually.  Your grace amazes me daily, Father, and I thank You for pouring it out on me.  May I do the same is my prayer today, in the precious name of Jesus, amen.

PS

Thank You for not charging me fees when I mess up, Lord! Thanks to You, my account has been settled and secured. Though it's a debt I could not afford, because of Your sacrifice, it's one that I don't have to repay. As if!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!