Thursday, November 10, 2016

What Is That To You? November 10, 2016

What Is That To You?
I Timothy 2 2b.JPG
Last night as Steve and I continued our studies, we came across this portion of a verse:  that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty (I Timothy 2:2).  It stood out to the both of us--even though it wasn’t what we were focusing our lesson on.  

Now, I don’t really like adjectives that are quantitative, such as “all” is because...well, because it just isn’t fair.  I mean seriously, can someone do something ALL the time?  What about those incidences where you miss the mark--either just barely or by a full mile?  We strive to do our best but you and I both know that there are going to be areas where we fall short.  

When this verse says “in all godliness and honesty” it just isn’t attainable! But enough with semantics.  What the gist of it means to me is that when one abides by God’s laws, He promises us many French benefits.  Living a quiet and peaceable life is one of the many blessings He provides and as this month of November is one where folks declare their thankfulness for the good things in their lives, I want to take this opportunity to thank God for my quiet life.  Oh sure, the noises in my head would argue that it’s awfully loud in there but for the most part, my life is still.  Settled.  Comfortable.  Peaceable?  Yes!  The battles I fought for so long have been won and my heart is at peace with most of the things in it.  Not ALL of them but definitely most of them.  What more could a girl ask for?

Let’s pray!

Dear Father God, as I ponder on the wonderful things You have wrought, I am thankful.  As a middle-aged-wife, mother, grandmother, and friend to some, You have supplied me with more than I deserve.  I do try to live my life to honor You and this is my just reward--not because of my works, oh no, Lord.  We know better than that!  But because You promised good things to Your kids if we’d abide by Your rules.  And these rules You set before us are good ones, Father.  We need directions, boundaries, and limits.  We need guidance and we need help in discerning truth by Your standards, not those of the world.

Thank You for my life.  Thank You for my peace and for my quiet.  When I rest, rely, and remember You, Lord God, the results are good ones.  And though troubles may be on my horizon, for today, for this moment, I am praising You with a thankful heart for Your blessings on me.  

I love You!  Thanks for loving me too:  for loving me first.  You complete me!  


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!