Saturday, February 18, 2017

More Abundantly


2-18-17 John 10 10.jpg

Exclamation marks.  What is it about them that makes us pay more attention to the sentence when one of these is at the end of them?  Oh, I know:  it’s because they are used to express strong emotion.  For instance, when “I love you” is only followed by a period it doesn’t quite have the effect that “I love you!” does.  Right?


I’ve been reading the Psalms in my morning Bible study time and am reacquainting myself with the emotions that these writers conveyed through their words.  Desperation, despair, grief, and loneliness are key topics but also there is the theme of redemption, of hope, and of love weaved through them.  If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a hundred times:  there is such a relief and release in writing.  I’ll say it again:  there is such a relief and release in writing!  May I encourage you to let your voices be heard through the written word as you go through whatever it is you are feeling?  Happy, sad, good, bad, doubts, hopes, fears, and so on.  When you write these things down, you are more able to focus on what you feel, why you feel that way, and then?  Then you are more prone to examine yourself and see if there is any validity to your emotions.  

What?

Seriously.  Sometimes we just want to be mad.  Sometimes we just want to keep going to those Pity Parties For One.  Sometimes we even just want to pout and blame others for things that--dare I say it?  Yes, I think I do dare!--things that we bring on ourselves that could be avoided if we’d look up instead of on self all the time.  Friends, don’t be fooled:  the devil is out to steal your joy.  Why make it easy for him?  Jesus came that we might have life--and this is crucial so don’t miss it!!--and have it more abundantly.  MORE ABUNDANTLY!  He wants to give us more, not take away what we already have.  How groovy is that?!

2 Corinthians 9:15 – “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!”

Psalm 15:3 --“Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and His greatness is unsearchable!”

I John 3:1--“Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!”

Romans 11:33 – “Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!”

Psalm 32:19 – “Oh, how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear You, which You have prepared for those who trust in You in the presence of the sons of men!”

Let’s pray!

Dear Lord, how excellent is Your name in all the earth!  How wonderful You are to bless us the ways that You do.  Thank You, Father, for extra emphasis in Your examples to us that we know beyond reason that You are in control, that You love us, and that You...that You care so much about us, individually, that You constantly give to us what we need, when we need it, and as much of it as we can stand.

You are so good to Your children, Lord, and I praise You and lift my hands to glorify You as my heart sings “How Great Thou Art!”  I love You!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!