Wednesday, March 1, 2017

And Now You Know!

And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments and statutes of the LORD, which I am commanding you today for your good?  (Deuteronomy 10:12–13, ESV)


It’s time for another edition of “Put Your Name Here!”  I just love Bible verses that I can truly personalize so that when the time comes (and it comes often) that I am not (ahem) sure that God is really talking to me, I can know for sure.  


So often many of us wander about, trying to decide who we are, who we want to be, and who we are supposed to be.  Whether it’s in a job, relationship, or during a mid-life crisis, so many of us are still trying to figure out who we want to be when we grow up.  Sigh.  I know during my fifty-three years of life the question has come up on more than one occasion.  Truthfully?  I am again this very moment trying to determine where to go next in my journey of life.  Luckily--scratch that.  Thankfully for me, the timely Word of God has once again stepped up to show me that it really doesn’t matter what I do, what job I perform, or who I am relating with that it’s just not about me.  I’ll write that again:  it’s just not about me.


I know!  I was stunned too, even though it’s not the first time this has been brought to my attention.  Years ago at Flemings Chapel during one of our Sunday School lessons, we read the book by Max Lucado entitled It’s Not About Me.  During our studies, we found out that this life we lead is not about what we can accomplish on our own but rather it is about Jesus.  It’s about Him and what He is doing, not about seeking our own fortune and fame.  


So, as mentioned above, I took this verse, replaced the “yous” with my name and personalized it for these times of wondering and wandering.  May I encourage you, friends, to do the same?  Talk about having the answer all spelled out for you!  Additionally, when we truly believe that our Bibles were written for our edification and not just some random “other” people, we are more able to identify with the truths found.  


Here is “my” verse:  

2017-03-01 Deuteronomy 10 12-13.JPG


And now, Stefanie, what does the LORD Stefanie’s God require of Stefanie, but to fear the LORD Stefanie’s God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the LORD Stefanie’s God with all of Stefanie’s heart and with all of Stefanie’s soul, and to keep the commandments and statutes of the LORD, which I am commanding Stefanie today for Stefanie’s good? (Deuteronomy 10:12–13)


Kind of explains it all, huh?  Stefanie is required to:  fear the Lord; to walk in all (not some) of His ways; to love Him; to serve the Lord with all (again, not some, not part, but the whole kit and kaboodle) of my heart and soul (ooh, that one’s going to be tough!); and lastly, to keep the commandments and statutes of my Lord.  I am commanded to do these things.  It is a requirement and my reasonable service as a child of God.  Now, before you go laughing at me and wondering how in the world I am ever going to pull this one off, remember:  you have to do this too.  Nan nan uh boo boo.  😁


Whew!  I think we can all agree that it’s time to pray.  Ready?


Dear Lord, how many times have I said that I just don’t know what to do with myself?  How many times have I planned and schemed and fought and lost the battle to be something that I am not destined to be?  How many times have I sought Your will in all of this only to fall short?  


But here it is, Father, plainly written for my eyes to behold and my mind to accept.  It’s not about me.  It never was, never will be.  My life’s purpose is to honor You, to love You, to fear You, and to follow Your Word.  And You know what, Dad?  It’s really not such a hard thing to do.  Your commands are not meant to keep me from stuff I think I should be involved with, that I am entitled to somehow, or so that I can be one of the crowd.  Rather, Lord, the things You ask of me are--and again, it’s clearly spelled out for me when I take the time to just read and study Your Word--for my good.  Wow!  After all of the things I have done and still do to hinder my walk with You, You still are requiring me to do these things for my good.  No, You didn’t ask and You didn’t see if I was chill with it.  You instead in Your infinite wisdom and knowledge knew before I even came on the scene that my life indeed was to have a purpose and that purpose would be to glorify You.


I can do that.  I can, Lord, as long as my eyes stay on You and off of me.  Knowing what is required of a body is half of the battle and now that I know what Your will is for me, the remaining part is all about obedience.  This I will endeavor to do because yes, I fear You, but also and most importantly because I love You.  How could I not?!  You have given me so many desires of my heart.  You have blessed me in more ways than I could ever count.  You redeemed me from this fallen world and from my sorry self.  You taught me real love and laid down Your life for me.  For me!  That still dumbfounds me.


Lord?  Thank You for Your amazing grace, Your unending mercies, and for Your gentle reminders to me that I am loved by One Who knows best.  While others may be more deserving, You chose me and for that alone I trust You and will try harder to make that calling one that pleases You.  Keep sending me unexpected reminders when I need them most and when I need them period elsewise I am liable to take my eyes away from You and get caught up in self again.  


I love You, Father.  I accept Your Word and with the help of Christ Jesus I will please You.  It is in His wondrous name I pray:  amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!