Sunday, April 9, 2017

Excuse me for asking but...are you a Christian?

“Hey!  I don’t want to offend you but...Um, you consider yourself to be a Christian, right?”  His words began to fumble about as they tumbled out of his mouth.

“I mean, you consider yourself to be a, oh, I don’t know, a Baptist, religious, Methodist, or some other…”

Amused and sensing his real concern here, I gently interrupted.  “I’m saved.  Is that what you mean?”

The relief flooded his eyes as yes, praise God, that is what he meant.  The conversation continued and I became the recipient of something valuable to him that he wanted to share with someone who would truly appreciate this gift, someone who was acquainted well with the Lord Jesus Christ.

As I think back on our little chat, I smile.  But it’s a tremulous one.  What makes us so afraid to be offensive when we converse with another about our salvation?  Why should we have to fear offending when instead we should be affirming that this one in our presence is indeed a follower of Christ?  

4-9-17 Philippians 1 27-28 conduct.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!