Sunday, July 19, 2015

Shine On!


2015-07-19  Let your light so shine.jpg


July 19, 2015
Have you ever been in the spotlight? Maybe you were on stage for a production of some sort. Maybe it was not a "real" spotlight but you were the major focus of some event or speech. Whatever the instance might be, how did you do? How would others rate your performance?
Yesterday, a local church was hit by lightning and was destroyed. Let me rephrase that: the building was ruined but the people, the congregation, and even the community around the church? Oh no, my dear ones, they aren't dark. Their luster is still abounding. They aren't quitting.
This morning, I read on Facebook an article from the Charlotte Observer, telling about a group called the "Nones," which means they are not declaring affiliation with any religion. Typically the comments that readers make tells me more about the story than the actual article. In this case, I was saddened but understanding of why a generation that has grown up in the last three to four decades would feel that they wanted no part of organized religion, although many professed that while they don't go to church, they are still interested in doing good works because of a sense of morality that they feel.
Okay then Stef, what are you saying here? On one hand you are commending the church and on the other? Well, you aren't quite saying anything that supports the church.
Hmn.
I know! I'll let Jesus say what I'm trying to get across. He's so much better at it than I am anyways. Matthew 5:16 quotes Him with these words: "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
Clear now? Did the light bulbs start appearing above your heads? Whether in church or on the shore, whether in a group or as an individual, and whether you have a leader or you are a loner, you can still shine. You can still do good works. The difference though is that of will God be glorified by your works or will you? Will He be uplifted or will self?
I am no fan of religion. I have little patience for judgmental folks who are in positions of authority that abuse their roles while accusing others about their lifestyles. What I do like though is a man of God who stands before people and speaks truth--truth as declared in the scriptures. Jesus told us to love one another as He loved us. That's not so complicated, is it? And the best way I know to love is to just do it. Just smile at people. Listen to their stories. Share their lives--the good, the bad, and the ugly. Be a friend to them. Tell them about Jesus if they don't know Him and to hear from them about Him when they do. It's really quite simple. Enlightening, even.
Let's pray!
Dear Lord, thank You for the lessons You teach through Your Word and the examples of Your children who model them. As my heart aches for the loss of the building of Bethlehem Baptist Church, it also cheers for the spirit of its people. May they continue being a lighthouse in their community and may others be drawn to be a part of this congregation because of the example they are setting.
And for the "Nones" Lord I pray that they will find a home, a body of believers who may find solace and companionship with men and women of God and may they raise families that know You as Lord and Saviour. Show them that their good works are in vain unless they are doing them for Your glory.
Lastly Lord, I pray for us, Your children. May our lights shine brightly for You, today and every day. Help us? Thank so much! I love You, Lord God, and thank You for loving me first. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!