Saturday, November 28, 2015

Distracted by God

As I lie here on the beachfront, soaking up some rays, listening to the crashing waves, the distant laughter, and gently greeting those who pass by, a song is going through my head.

The intention was to come out here for a nap and then go play in the pool, take a walk along the beach, and relax.  So I positioned myself just right, adjusted my towel to protect my face from the warm sun, and closed my eyes, thinking what a good time it would be to commune with God.  That song continued in my head.
♫"Can't we try just a little bit harder?
Can't we give just a little bit more?
Can't we try to understand that it's love we're fighting for
?"  ♫
"Man," I thought, "why can't I be distracted by Jesus as easily as I am by the world?  Why can't my attention stray to Him as much as to this helicopter flying overhead?"



Two people walk by and my mind wonders what they're up to.  The waves continue crashing.  The wind gently glides over me.

"Is that You, Lord?" my mind whispers.  "Is that Your Spirit soothing me, covering me?"  

I look around and see a seagull flying close by.



"Is that You, Lord, waving Your wings at me, reminding me how I am sheltered beneath them?"

A lady struggles to open the gate to get back into the resort and I think "One day I will meet You, Lord, in the morning, just inside the Eastern Gate."

Distracted by God.  Focusing on Him in all that surrounds me, whether that be by sight or by sound.  "Fill me, I pray, dear Lord!"  


I close my journal and place it back in my beach bag.  I stretch my hand over and feel it encompassed by Steve and am lastly reminded that God too holds me with His hand.  I sigh, close my eyes, and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!