Monday, November 16, 2015

Dad, I Need Your Help

There are three commands in this verse:  come, obtain, and find.  As you read, these are verbs that are going to take a little action, so let's get off of our duffs this morning and get to them, shall we?

Long years ago, I was a child growing up in a home that had a domineering father.  Maybe it was his military background or perhaps he just liked to be in control, but whatever the case, he was a hard man.  I lived in perpetual fear of doing something to upset the apple cart because his wrath was one I did not like to have fall upon me.  But because I too was a girl with determination, there were times when I would risk the fist of iron and go to him in search of what I needed:  my allowance, permission to go to the skating rink, and a ride from him to get there.  Same three things as the verse tells?  Almost.  

My dad had a sense of humor that most didn't think was funny.  Often, he liked to see my siblings and I beg for those things we wanted.  He'd agree we deserved our allowance after laboring so hard in the tobacco field.  He'd concur that it was Friday night and we should get to have some fun.  But the last part, how we'd get to said event?  Oh, that was the one he liked to see us squirm about.  Maybe it was to see how badly we truly wanted to go?  Maybe it was so we'd all agree to go to the same place (my sisters often tended to want to go to the ball games instead of the skating rink--and the school was a mile further up the road).  Who knows?  But by the time he finished toying with us and decided he'd take us, it was nearly the time for the place to open.  I don't know about you but there were three of us girls and one shower (kind of like the Brady Bunch).  Because of the grime of the field, obviously we all needed to clean up and since I was the youngest, there were times when I literally held my head out of the window of that old green station wagon in an effort to get my hair to dry on the way to our adventure because my time had been so limited in the bathroom and I didn't want to be the one to hold us up.

Sigh.  That tone, that attitude of having to plead for a simple favor shadowed my dealings with my Lord for much of my life.  If I wanted Him to do something on my behalf, I could almost feel His glare, His anger, as He considered whether or not I was even worthy to ask such a thing of Him.  Yet, as mentioned above, I was stubborn too so I would barter with God.  "Lord, if You will do this, I will do (or not do) such and such."  I'd beg of Him to grant me this request and wait like a cowering cat to see if He'd oblige me.  I'd try to reason with Him that I had earned or deserved to have this one thing.  And I'd curl up in a ball waiting to see if He'd answer me.

What a sad child I was!  The fear of God came from my own fear of my dad and it has taken many years to change this negative way of thinking into one where I may now come boldly to Him when I need--and I need often!  How did it happen?  Thanks for asking!  When I became a parent, I often found myself unconsciously modeling the behavior patterns of my parents.  But the more I watched my husband, the more I saw how his parents and aunt and uncle responded to my daughter's needs, the more I became aware that I had had it wrong about God.  When my child needed help--whether it was with homework, learning a new skill, or just some advice--she had no trouble going to her daddy to get these things.  She wasn't afraid of him; she adored him!  He rarely told her "no" to those things she desired--unless it was for her own good.  She didn't have to barter with him, nor did she have to shy away from asking for the hard stuff in fear of being mocked or scorned.  Nope.  She just went to him.  She presented her requests in a normal, conversational tone.  And she didn't wait expectantly:  she expected an immediate response.  This was her dad and she was his child.  Why would he not give her what she wanted, needed, or maybe just "had to have" for whatever reason?

Do you see it friends?  God is not our enemy.  He is not our fearsome leader Who has to have had an appointment set before He can find time in His busy world for us to commune with Him.  He isn't up on His throne waiting to mock us or ridicule us when we ask some wild things of Him.  Instead, He is our Daddy, our  Abba.  He delights in us, and wants to give us the desires of our hearts--especially when they line up with His will for our lives.

Go to Him.  Don't be afraid.  Ask Him for what you need--no matter if it is spiritual, financial, or on the behalf of another.  Don't mince your words and don't hem and haw.  Be bold.  Be forthright.  Be confident that what you ask of Him He has the power to fulfill.  Will He always say "yes" to what you want?  Of course not!  He knows better than we do what the result would be if He gave us everything we think we want!  But I tell you what:  He will listen.  He will consider you.  He will give you what you need even though it might be different than what you asked for.  He's merciful that way.  His grace is all sufficient.  And I have it on good authority that you have not because you ask not.  Go tell God what you need today.  I'll bet He'd love to hear from you!

Let's pray!

Dear Sweet Father, thank You for loving Your children and teaching us that perfect love casts out fear.  Thank You for showing us that Your ways are higher than ours.  Thank You for always being available when we need, when we want, and when we take the time to pencil You into our busy schedules.  

As Your kids come to You today--some on behalf of me!!--bless them.  Show them more powerfully than before that You hear them, that You love them, and that You want to be their "Go To Guy."  Thank You so much for loving us!!  We love You too!!!  In the name of Jesus, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!