Wednesday, December 16, 2015

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (?)

Tis a Fearful Thing
by Yehuda HaLevi (1075 – 1141)

‘Tis a fearful thing
to love what death can touch.
A fearful thing
to love, to hope, to dream, to be –
to be,
And oh, to lose.
A thing for fools, this,
And a holy thing,
a holy thing
to love.
For your life has lived in me,
your laugh once lifted me,
your word was gift to me.
To remember this brings painful joy.
‘Tis a human thing, love,
a holy thing, to love
what death has touched.

Grief.  The gift that keeps on giving, even when you weren't expecting it to visit.  For instance, yesterday while at Walmart, it snuck up on me.  While I was doing my shopping and getting some last minute gifts-- minding my own business--it hit me. 

My eyes had fallen on that old-fashioned ribbon candy.  You know the kind I am talking about?  It's been around for years and it reminded me instantly of my grandmother, Mom.  We used to spend every Christmas with her and Pop and by "we" I mean my family and me.  Although there hasn't been a Christmas with Mom--nor the rest of the family--in quite some time, there Grief was, sneaking into my calm, and twisting the knife ever-so-ungently into my heart.  Smiling wistfully, I took just a moment to recall Mom and the love that woman made me feel.  I miss her.  Still.


I shook it off and dared the tear to escape from my eye.  Nope, not gonna do it.  This season of melancholy is nothing new but it is definitely something all too familiar--and unwanted.  Boldly, I made the decision to be happy and leave the past where it belonged.  So, I walked forward a few more steps and there they were:  
  Clyde would get me and Ash and Nuna a box of these each year. This year I won't be receiving them.  Another tear threatened to burst out of my eyes and I almost gave into it this time.  The memories of past Christmases and all of those loved ones who are gone sometimes is just too much!

While I know it is okay to cry sometimes, to miss those who left us, and to be just plain sad I also know that the devil loves nothing more than to steal my--and your--joy. If he can get our eyes off of Christ and all of the excitement over the celebration of His birth then he's pretty excited about that.  Eyes on us and ol' Satan is beyond happy.  Eyes on Christ and the story of His redeeming love and oh no:  Slew Foot is enraged.  So, he brings up loved ones, sweet times, and happy memories and then tries to turn them into bitter remembrances instead, making us recollect the sadness and the loneliness and the heartache--things he himself is full of instead of the joy of Christ.

So, here's what I propose instead, what I purpose, and what I invite you to do with me:  let's take back Christmas!  Let's let those memories have their place but let's not dwell on them.  Let's allow those tasty candies and cookies to be sweet to our mouths and not bitter to our bellies.  Those songs and carols?  Reflect on Whom they are about rather than that being Momma's favorite and making us think of her more than the Christ Child.  And when we gather with those we still have?  Yeah, let's take a moment or two to remember but mostly let's take several moments to praise the Saviour Who through His unprecedented gift allows us the hope of reconciliation.  Sound good?  I think so too!
Let's pray!

Father, as I come before You now, I want to take the time to focus on You.  What a sacrifice You made when You allowed for Jesus to come to earth!  What pain that must have caused You!  The separation must have been extreme, as You watched Your Son come to earth to bridge the gap that was severed so long ago.

Thank You.  I know I say these words often but Lord God?  I especially mean them today.  Yeah, my heart has been hurt and I have faced betrayal and separation too but not anything compared to what You have.  And because You permitted Christ to come, like You I too will one day be reunited with those whom I've loved and lost.  Thank You for this unspeakable gift!  Thank You.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!