Monday, December 7, 2015

Who's That Lady?


"How old are you anyways, Shirley?"  I asked this of the lady pictured above a few weeks ago, after I'd been moaning about my aches and pains and the joys of middle age.

"Stefanie, I'm old enough to be your mother"  she replied.

I gazed at her, then looked a little more deeply into her eyes and stated, "Well, I don't have a mother."

She looked into my eyes, thought for a moment, and said "Well, I don't have a daughter."  Then someone came and interrupted the moment but the seed was planted.  No, that's not quite true:  the seed had been planted many months ago when I was getting to know this lady.  She's the kind of woman who straightens my collar when its awry and pats me--heavily--on the shoulder when I've just told her I was a little sunburnt.  She's the one who calls me out when I get out of line just a little with my corny attempts at humor.  She's the kind of gal who prays for me and those others she loves faithfully.

Last night, at our Christmas dinner at church, she good-humoredly fussed at me for taking so many pictures.  I told her I needed to so that one day when my mind finally goes, I'll have photographs of those I love to remember them by.  She took my face in her two sweet hands, held it firmly, looked into my eyes as only Shirley can, and said "I will never let you forget me."  My eyes are filled with tears--again--as I recall this.

Shirley.  Shirley Killian.  The soul with a heart of gold who makes my life brighter.  I love this woman!  While she can't replace my earthly mother, she can fill that need for a womanly momma/big sister hole that throbs in my heart at the most unexpected times.  Jesus told us this would happen.  I just love it when He's right!

Let's pray!

Dear God, how I thank You for the Shirleys You send in this world to replace the family members that one no longer has--or maybe has but who isn't a part of that one's life anymore.  Lord, we need the Shirleys, the Bettys, the Palmas, the Pollys and the Lindas.  Thank You for being true to Your Word.  Although they aren't always aware they are Your special angels, You and I know the truth.  Bless them mightily I pray and may I one day too be someone's special person to fill a void that she has.  In the name of Jesus I pray.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!