Monday, September 12, 2016

My Bold Buddy

Hebrews 14-16.jpg
Recently a friend of mine had an issue that needed to be taken care of--immediately, if not sooner.  Knowing only of One Who could handle this, he took his petition straight to the top, where he demanded that God take care of this.

But he didn’t stop there.  Not this friend.  Not only did he tell our sweet Father what it was he was in need of:  he demanded proof from Him that the mission had been accomplished.

Well, you know our great God just dropped everything to handle this, right?  I mean, after all, isn’t that what He’s there for:  to be our order taker so that we can have things our way, when we want them, and then be relegated back to His throne until next time?  I mean, after all, shouldn’t He have been keeping a better eye out anyways?  

As it just so happened, the God my friend and I serve did not jump when said friend spoke--even though the issue was one of possible severity and potential harm.  Maybe He was thinking back to those days when Mary and Martha fussed at Him, telling Him what He should do and/or should not have done so that their brother Lazarus wouldn’t have died.  Maybe God was recollecting the lesson taught and learned way back when.  If memory serves me correctly, didn’t He wait about two days or so before even responding in person to this call?  It wasn’t that the sisters’ need wasn’t great.  Oh no, friends, not at all.  Rather, Jesus lingered in Bethany for reasons many have supposed.  Basically, though, it just wasn’t time for Him to move.

So, back to my friend’s (ahem) “request.”  He sought a little assistance from an outside source or two.  He contacted them often to see if the evidence had been provided and when after several days it hadn’t, his prayers became more fierce, more intense.  He knew God could handle this tiny little matter in the grand scheme of things.  Though he was often a praying man, this incident had literally brought him to his knees, imploring God in a way he has rarely had to do.  

Lo and behold, guess what?  After a few days, when the time was right, my friend got the call he’d been waiting for.  Ta da!  The proof was provided without any doubt that the entire issue had been dealt with completely.  To say my pal was relieved would be an understatement!  As a matter of fact, after he profusely thanked our Good Lord for His provision, he did what any normal man would do:  he got mad.  At God!  Yeah, I know:  how dare he?  How dare this child question the manner in which God responded to his pleas?  The absolute gall!

Basically, this dear friend of mine told God that He had better not ever let that happen again.  When I questioned him why he would talk to God like that, his response was clear, concise, and one that made me question my own relationship with the Father.  He said he was selfish.  He didn’t want to take time away from his normal duties and cares to spend worrying about something that he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God could handle.  He was bold in his prayer, bold in his demand for evidence, and bold in his response.  I mean, after all, doesn’t God know us inside and out?  Doesn’t He know our thoughts before we speak them?  Doesn’t He know the cares and scares of this world before we even face them?  Doesn’t He know the end from the beginning?

Yes.  He does.  That must be one of the reasons He allowed the above verses to be favored ones throughout the ages.  Verses that teach us that:

Seeing then that we have a great High Priest Who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.  Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.    

Mercy, grace, and help.  When we need.  One Who sympathizes with our weaknesses.  Yeah, that’s the God my friend serves.  He’s not intimidated by me and my smallness--not when He Himself is so great!  He’s not mad when I question Him.  He might laugh to Himself a little at some of my ridiculous demands but you know what?  In His time, He takes care of what needs cared for.  He provides evidence that what He began will be completed--in me and in others.  All in all, He’s a pretty special God, don’t you think?  

Let’s pray!

Thank You, Father, for answered prayers.  No, You don’t drop everything to tend to Your children’s cries because You have a plan and in Your wisdom, Lord God, You know when things need to come together.  

Sigh. I must confess:  I am often impatient with You much like my friend was.  But You already knew that, huh?  You already knew my petulant attitude does not serve me well nor reflect Christ-like behaviour.

Thank You for being God and for putting up with me.  And my friend.  May we honor You better after this lesson and the many more You teach us day by day is my prayer, asked in the healing name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!