Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Somebody Touched Me!

She did it again.  This woman.  This marvelous woman that the Lord Jesus Christ saw fit to put in my world.  

It was a couple of weeks ago at Card Ministry.  My back was hurting and for some unknown reason (because I really don’t like folks to touch me much--it makes me feel all funny inside), as I stood beside her, I asked her to rub it. Without hesitation, she did.  And it wasn’t just one of those quickie-okay-I’ll-rub-your-back-for-one-minute-rubs.  No sir.  This lady proceeded to gently but firmly place her warm hand where I had shown her it hurt, and continued to make circles on my aching body until I let her know that that was good.

I didn’t think much about it until a week or so ago, when Steve and I were doing our Fruit of the Spirit study.  The word “kindness” came up and I immediately remembered this act that had been performed on me.  If you’re thinking to yourself at this point “What is the big deal, Stef?  Plenty of people have rubbed my back before and you don’t see me writing to tell the world.” then I would like you to take a moment and consider this verse from Matthew 8:3:

Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, saying, "I am willing; be cleansed." And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.

While not a leper, many folks don’t touch me.  I guess it’s the aura I put out and most of the time it’s fine.  I mean sure, I get those friendly hugs as one circulates through the congregation at church from a few sweet women and occasionally from an older man.  The ones from the kiddos sure are sweet!  

I still didn’t think of it as such a big deal until on one of those Sundays, another lady approached me to shake my hand but...I could tell she was just doing it to be nice.  What she wanted to really do was get a hold of the woman beside of me and embrace her lovingly.  Her words of “My day just isn’t complete without a hug from you!” made my heart feel a pang as I thought “This woman doesn’t give me hugs!”  For some reason, it really bothered me.  Thus, the night Steve and I studied kindness, the back rub came back to mind.

What is it about the human touch?  That feeling of warmth that spreads through your whole body when another human being shares a part of self to connect with you?  Those random pats on the backs and shoulders?  The hearty handshakes when you can tell someone is really glad to see you? The oh-so-sweet gentle kisses on a cheek or the top of your head that seem to come from one who instinctively seems to know just how badly you needed that?

Jesus knew all about them.  That’s why He so freely gives them, gives of Himself.  He knows many of us feel unworthy, unlovable, unaccepted.  Many of the miracles He performed on others resulted first in Christ Jesus touching that one who was infirmed, making a connection, and showing His compassion.  Leper, blinded men, the deaf--all of these wounded felt the healing touch of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.  The ones most people had already rejected were healed by the Great Physician.  

So, back to my friend.  Did she have any clue what her rubbing of my back meant to me?  Probably not.  I’m sure many folks ask things of her that she freely gives without thinking twice about them.  That’s her nature:  to give of herself.  That’s Christ’s nature, exhibited in this dear soul and in so many of you.  So, the next time opportunity presents itself, reach out and touch someone.  Oh surely, though, do it in a helpful way and not a kick in the rear as many need (in our humble estimations) or a punch in the face as many are wont to do in today’s society.  You probably won’t realize how effective and powerful that simple kind gesture is but I daresay you will impact a life more than for the few seconds your touch lingers on them.

Let’s pray!

Dear Father, how I thank You for touch.  The sense of another soul reaching out without fear to share love is one of Your most wonderful gifts!  

Thank You for the example Your Son Jesus modeled for me.  May I use my fingers, my hands, and my light kisses on cheeks to bless others and remind them that You care about them even more than I do.  In the precious name of Jesus I pray this:  amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!