Tuesday, January 17, 2017

I Have A Dream!


I Have A Dream


Dream.  Dream dream dream. Dream...All I have to do is dream♬  The Everly Brothers sang this tune way back in the day.  Dan Hartman sang “I Can Dream About You” in reference to an unattainable love.  Trace Adkins sang of dreaming out loud while Clay Walker crooned about doing it with his eyes wide open.  Fleetwood Mac also had a hit with their song and poor Carrie Underwood wished her life was just a dream--and a bad one at that that she could awaken from.  And who can forget the Mamas and the Papas hit about California dreaming--especially on these bleary winter days?  Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes warned folks not to fall in love with a dreamer and then there was the classic Elvis song “If I Can Dream.”  Lastly, although there are many more tunes I could reference, let’s not forget Cinderella’s take on this:  A dream is a wish your heart makes.


A quote by Henry David Thoreau I happened upon while researching for today’s blog tells me:

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."

dream.jpg


Meanwhile, Proverbs 16:3 (ESV) tells me:
Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.

Proverbs 16 3.jpg



Yesterday, I asked God specifically for fulfillment of a dream I have had for some time now. I outlined the reasons why this dream should be a reality, told Him of the usefulness it could provide if it was to be accomplished, and reminded Him (as if!) of the gifts He had already given to me to make this dream come true. I pondered on it for the umpteenth time and later, after our Bible Study on Job, I told Steve about it and asked his agreement with it so that we could mutually--as well as individually--pray about it and seek God’s will for it. Having a spiritual cohort along for the journey sure makes the trip more pleasant!


As we discussed what part to play in this unfolding drama, we wondered how much help God needed to make it come true.  I mean, after all, He could just speak it into existence if it lined up with His plans, right?  Didn’t He tell me in Psalm 37:4 for me to delight myself in Him and He would give me the desires of my heart?  Mmn hmn:  He sure did.  He also told me in Jeremiah 29:11 that His plan was to give me hope and to give me a future, as well as to prosper me.  Yes, He most certainly did!  


So, as we pursued this line of thought and truly felt that this dream of mine fell under those categories, we still pondered what type of activity was needed on my part to give this dream some legs and get it upright.  A few ideas were tossed about and we settled on one, well two, for now.  After all, there are certain things I must be proactive about if I am to show myself approved for this venture.  Committing myself to perfecting my end of the bargain and then having God season it with His blessings and special touch go hand in hand.  For you see, without His approval and guidance, this dream could turn into something that becomes all about me instead of it being all about Him.


Therefore, as I close today’s blog, I encourage you to pursue your dreams as well.  If they indeed line up with the promises God has already made, then why are you slumbering instead of living the dream?  Make the Monkees proud and be a daydream believer and scream along with Steven Tyler “Dream on: Dream until your dreams come true!”  After all, Who do you think placed these thoughts in that sweet little head of yours?  “Sweet dreams are made of these and who am I to disagree?”


Let’s pray!


Dear Lord, as I have bantered and sung my way through this blog, I rejoice in knowing that You made promises to Your kids so that they could live lives full of joy.  This dream of mine?  You know what it is and You know the likelihood of it coming true.


As I begin more earnestly than ever to doing my part, Father, I ask You to not let me get ahead of myself, of You, or to do something that compromises the dream from being something that honors You and brings You fame into something that becomes all about me.  For You know, Father, my flesh wants some accolades too as this potentially becomes something shared with my world rather than kept in the secret places of my heart and mind.  And my soul.  You know my insecurities and desires to be heard, to be acknowledged, and yes, to be acclaimed rather than going to the grave with nothing to show for my life.  Keep my pride at bay, I ask, so that this endeavor takes root and grows stronger, long after I am gone.


Oh Lord!  Help me, I pray.  Help me to seek Your will above my own.  Open doors for me to walk through where the person on the other side is welcoming me with anticipation.  Sharpen my mind and soften my tongue.  I commit this work to You, Father God, this dream, as my offering of praise for a small part, a token, of what You have given to me and blessed me with.  Show me which paths to take and which to avoid.  Guide me to folks who see my vision and want to be a part of it.  Encourage me when the efforts appear to fall short and nudge me when I get tired and feel hopeless.  I know those times will come.  But greater is He--YOU!!--that is in me than he who is in the world.


May this dream bring You delight is my earnest plea, asked in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen and amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!