Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Come Back To Me

Tell me honestly:  do you ever get in a rut when doing your Bible reading?  I do.  I’ve been reading it for as long as I can remember and sometimes when I see the heading for a particular passage, I inwardly sigh and think “Great.  This one again?”

That happened this morning.  I picked it up and it was open to Luke 22 and the heading was “DEATH AND RESURRECTION OF JESUS, THE SAVIOR.”  I again sighed, wondering how many times I could read this story and why did the topic of death have to be prevalent when I am in mourning over Lisa?  Reluctantly, I picked it up, adjusted it just so, and before the first three verses were read, my mind was stimulated and I was raring to go!

As I continued--stopping three times during the chapter to write down particular verses that grasped me--the hubby called.  He does this to let me know he’s almost made it safely to work.  Before even saying hello, I began effusing that I have a song for him today.  “Remember that song by David Cook that I really like but you don’t really care for it” I asked him?  “Come Back To Me” I continued. He started to explain that he did too like it but I had to interrupt him to tell him that that was a “yes or no” question because it would soon be time for him to clock in and what I had to say was just so important.



I then read him the following passage of scripture from Luke 22:31-32:
And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat.  But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”  (emphasis mine)
I was so excited!  You see, I have a song in my head at most times that will fit almost any occasion and voila`!  Courtesy of songwriting team Espionage this one fit this situation.  

How many of us, like Peter, have denied our Lord?  How many of us have put Him on hold while we try to find ourselves, to try to figure out who we are and who we want to be and if we are ready to leave our old selves behind in our desires to be more like Christ?  And how many times has He, loving Saviour that He is, waited for us, given us time, and opened His sweet arms wide when we come to our senses?  Jesus knew Peter was about to deny Him and yet He gave him this promise with a purpose for Simon Peter to fulfill:  strengthen your brethren.

So often we learn things the hard way, don’t we friends?  While others make the mistakes ahead of us and share them with us, too many times our stubbornness keeps us from choosing the right way, huh?  But those other times:  those times when we do learn?  Ahh, you see, that’s why we share our stories.  That’s why I write my heart out to you.  That’s why I’m so concerned for you.  How I wish you could learn from my mistakes!  How I yearn for you to not follow the wrong path and to hold so much bitterness and regret and unforgiveness in your sweet hearts!  Mostly, I long for you to know Jesus the way I do now in my older years.  The first half (two-thirds?) of my life, I knew all about Him--or so I thought.  Ahh, the changes, the truths, the love He has shown me these past sixteen years or so.  The lessons learned and the ones I didn’t have to face on my own because I finally got over myself enough to see there was a better way than the one that in my foolishness I often chose instead.  

Like in the song, Jesus will “let us go.”  He will set us “free” to be who we need to be.  He doesn’t force Himself upon us.  No, not at all.  But when we find us, when we discover He is Whom we need?  Then, my loves, my fellow wanderers, is when we are free indeed!

Let’s pray!

Oh sweet Lord, what a wonderful Saviour You are!  Not pushy, not harsh.  Gently and watchingly, You await the return of Your children.  Those whom the Father gave to You will not be lost.  

For all the times I strayed, for all the crazy schemes and dreams I tried to make into a reality that took me further from You, I apologize, Lord.  I can’t fix me.  Only You can save me.  Thank You, Lord Jesus, for waiting for me to come back to You.  I’m Yours now and my prayer is that I won’t be so stubborn, hard-headed, nor hard-hearted.  Thanks for loving me when I didn’t know how to love myself.  In Your holy and precious name I pray.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I had to read the first 11 verses in Matthew for a Bible study I am in and thought, really? Genealogy? Not that I don't love genealogy. I do. I was just sure there wasn't going to be anything new jump out at me. But I saw two things in there that I hadn't really seen before. God is good like that and thankfully forgiving of my know-it-all attitude! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to read today!