Monday, April 11, 2016

Open letter to Governor McCrory

Dear Governor McCrory:

I started to write “Hi.  You don’t know me” but I think that perhaps you might, actually.  No, our paths haven’t ever crossed but...But you are my governor and I feel pretty sure there’s a reason you have been put into such a place as this.

I pondered that yesterday, while sitting in church.  I wondered “Did Pat McCrory have any idea what momentous part of history he would be playing when he signed the HB2 law?”  I also pondered the verse from Ephesians 6:12, which states:  
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.   

Did you know, Governor?  Did God give you any fair warning that you were about to embark on changing history, on being ridiculed, mocked, scorned, and put through the fire?  Like Esther, you were put in this time for this story, and maybe you are an unwilling pawn.  But again, I don’t think so.  It takes a lot to show a man’s character and I think you are doing an excellent job.

Now I have a request for you.  Will you continue to stand?  Will you be strong in this battle to which you have been thrust into?  Will you not cave into the pressures of those who are out to continue to destroy this world with their proclivities and madnesses?  For you see, they have been blinded.  Their eyes have been closed to truth and they are just wandering about, seeking any cause to follow that helps them to feel better about their own sins.  I don’t mean that to sound judgmental but here’s the thing:  we are all sinners and in need of a Saviour.  When we can get our eyes off of ourselves, they tend to wander to those who we perceive as being worse than us and therefore, we don’t have to deal with our sins.  Misery loves company, right?

I want you to know that I am so proud of you for not rallying back with hatred, but instead you are showing compassion, offering understanding for what has been twisted, and staying gentle in this fight.  Gentle as a dove and wise as a serpent.  I commend you, Governor, and just wanted you to know that you are not in this fight alone.  While my reputation at my house with my grandsons is that “Granny is a lover, not a fighter” this situation has really gotten out of control.  While I won’t go out onto the battlefield and fight fire with fire, I will support you, my state, my kid and grandkids, and those I love with my prayers, with the small podium I have on my blog site, and with whatever else God lays on my heart to do.

Thank you for your time and again:  keep standing.  We need you.  

Charles Barkley recently made a comment that sounded like something I heard from the movie “A Few Good Men” where he stated it was his responsibility to “stand up for the people who can’t stand up for themselves.”  Just as he is entitled to stand, Governor, we are too.  It’s still America.  We still have our First Amendment rights of free speech and I appreciate you letting me state mine.

Sincerely,

Stefanie Hutcheson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!