Sunday, February 21, 2016

And the winner is...

It's that time of the year again. Political campaigns run rampant and no one is safe from all of the commercials and advertisements of those wishing to be elected as our next POTUS. Whether we like our choices or not, it seems like the two frontrunners are Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Whoever wins, our country will still be divided, still have conflicts, and still wonder when there will ever be an elected official that we all are happy with.

This morning, in my spam folder, there was an email entitled "Stefanie Hutcheson: you have been chosen!" This is nothing new to me. I've known I was special for quite a while now. ;) Oh sure, way back in the day, I was seldom picked or nominated for anything. Well, there was that time I was in the running for a Senior Superlative--Class Clown, if you can believe that. But my good friend Cathy Allen Nicholson won instead. She's still cracking us all up with her charm and quirkiness, by the way. But back to me. While I love Cathy dearly, I'll have to write a blog about her another day.

While my "fifteen minutes of fame" were not realized back in high school, my eternal recognition for something better, something higher, and something much more significant have been written down in the books and thankfully, do not depend on my fellow man's decision as to whether or not I am the right woman for the job. I am. I'm kinda of special, you see. Famous? No. World renowned? Hardly. Is my face instantly recognized when plastered over billboards or on television ads? Nope: not there either.

So, where, Stef? Where is this fame, this notoriety, this special election you have been chosen for and just what are you running for anyways?

I'm so glad you asked! For you see, while I made the list, the even better news is that you did too! Woo hoo! You, me, and yes, that one over there who no one EVER thought would be anybody special? Turns out, we were all on the ballot! We were all in the running, and the best news? We were CHOSEN. We didn't volunteer. We didn't have to put our finances into being elected. And thankfully for many of us, our skeletons in the closet won't negatively affect our chances of winning! Read this passage from Ephesians 1 and see for yourselves:

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love He predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will— to the praise of His glorious grace, which He has freely given us in the One He loves. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that He lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, He made known to us the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure, which He purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.

In Him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of Him Who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of His glory. And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, Who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of His glory. 
Now, that is good news worth reading about, don't you think? No presidential seals are waiting for us but we have a better trophy: the seal of the Holy Spirit. Our inheritance is guaranteed (unlike down here where our popularity can change on a dime--no pun intended). Christ Jesus chose us before there were Bushes and Clintons and Washingtons and Kennedys. Before the foundation of the world, He had you and me on His mind, set us apart for greater things, and is even now cheering us on as we fulfill His purposes in our lives. So, go on. Get out there and run this race. Don't grow weary and don't faint. His strength is made perfect in our weaknesses. You have been chosen by One Who knows the end from the beginning. Regardless of the politics of the world, the government is on His shoulders and He has you by your right hand. Our victory is already established. Let's walk as if we're the winners Jesus already made us to be, shall we?

Let's pray!

Dear Lord, in a world where I am often overlooked and underappreciated, where my talents often lie dormant, and when the haters are out there seeking to destroy and steal my joy, You remind me that this world is not my home. Your Word assures me that when others are picked first, You chose me to be a part of Your family. Mostly though, God, You elected me and Jesus and the Holy Spirit confirmed me and now? Now, my future is secured and my position in Christ affirmed. I am Yours. Elected. Chosen. Set apart. May I take this role seriously and do You proud is my hope. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!