Wednesday, February 3, 2016

First

Directions.  Instructions.  We need them to make life decisions.  From following a recipe to finding our way around with a map, we need to know where to go, when to go, and what things might be encountered along the way.

For a couple of months now, I have been troubled by a situation.  Though I pondered, prayed, and pouted about it I just couldn't get any relief and whatever efforts I made to make it better for myself, I found I was getting nowhere.  Yeah, I had "The Book" and I had a great adviser to talk it through with me.  I did several studies and spent much time agonizing over the best course of action.  One thing kept nagging at me through this ordeal.  I didn't want to do it that way though so I kept ignoring it.  

Like many great concoctions I have made and baked, and like many trips to different adventures without quite knowing the right pathway to take, I decided to do it on my own.  A tweak here, a detour there and the end result was good.  Not the way the picture showed but still, I made it.  It tasted good and the walk on the wild side, on the road less taken, still got me where I was headed.

First.  First.  That word kept nagging at me though.  Sigh.  Like when the recipe tells you to first soften the butter at room temperature.  Like when the directions tell you there is a detour ahead but in your haste, you forge ahead anyways, thinking by the time you get there, that mess will be cleaned up.  Oh sure, you can use the butter that's not yet ready and the whole cake will still taste fine, if you don't mind the fact that you might encounter a lump or two of fluff where the ingredients didn't quite stick together correctly.  You won't win the blue ribbon for it though.  And you can drive that beaten path and then fume when the detour signs abound and cause you to backtrack because you didn't read the directions.  You didn't do what was first required.

Jesus had a few things He said we should do first, before attempting to get the rest of the job done.  First we had to do certain works--whether that meant plucking some beams from eyes, gathering some tares, seeking, reconciling, and/or binding--before we could receive the ultimate prize.  And guess what?  When one does these things, the end result has a happier ending!  Less time is wasted.  More production occurs.  Vision gets sharper.  The projects get completed.

Next time you are faced with a task, read the directions, friends.  That trip you are planning?  Seek first that the pathway is indeed clear.  Don't be a Stefanie.  

Be Like Bill Generator:
Let's pray!

Father, as I reflect on the time I wasted on something that should have been resolved in a matter of moments--a day at most--I am ashamed that I did not do what Jesus said to do first.  I learned a great lesson though, Lord, and for that I thank You.  Like a turtle, I can be slow but...but like a growing child, I can learn.  Thank You for the wisdom gained and gleaned.  May I never stop learning--especially to do things right the first time.  In the name of Jesus I pray.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!