Monday, February 8, 2016

All the world is a stage

Mordecai sent word to Esther to tell her "...For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance... will arise from another place... And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?" 

I have a few things to share with you all to ponder as Super Bowl 50 has been completed and the stage has been set for much of the world to see and hear who claimed victory and how the loser would handle defeat.  Stick with me a few moments?  Thanks!

Disappointed?  Mmn, a bit.  Disgruntled?  Nope; that's not quite the word I'm looking for.  Disheartened?  Yeah, but only because I had built him up to my pastor and a few others due to his comments on his faith that I recently read.  Disgusted?  No, that's not the word either, although my mind is a bit perturbed.  Disillusioned?  Maybe.  Maybe that's what I felt when I heard Peyton Manning last night as he told the millions of folks watching what he was going to do to celebrate the win over the Carolina Panthers:  
"I'll take some time to reflect," he said. "I have a couple of priorities first. I want to go kiss my wife and my kids. I want to go hug my family. I'm going to drink a lot of Budweiser tonight, I promise you that. I'm going to take care of those things first, and say a little prayer to thank the man upstairs for this great opportunity."
And then there was Cam Newton.  No, that sure wasn't his greatest game but does one game define you?  Of course not!  Read here the text his mother sent to him before the game began:
 "I understand that hot and cold water comes out of different fountains. You are neither hot or cold. You have a big platform. Which fountain are you? Don't let the devil win over your words or speech that represents the dark world. But represent the awesome God you serve through your words. ... You win with your character and powerful words you speak.'' 
Sadly though, Cam's words were not powerful--or at least not in the way that they could have been.  They sent a message all right.  However, it was not the one I had hoped to hear.  Another example--like Peyton's--of a wasted opportunity to use the platform of his celebrity.  "I'm done," Cam said, as he walked out of the press conference, to the chagrin of many, myself included, as I waited for some praise for his teammates and fans.  Sadly, his emotions were too unsteady so he walked away instead of choosing to build up what the other team had taken down.

But wait a minute, Stef.  Peyton did acknowledge his thanks for God!

Did he now?  Really?  'Cause when I heard him mention "the man upstairs" I wasn't sure if he was referring to God or to George Jefferson.  I mean, seriously?  Seriously, after eighteen seasons in the NFL, after countless wins and healings from the various injuries, and after all of those prayers he said he prays, he refers to God as "the man upstairs" instead of the Savior of his life?  What a horrible waste!  Think of the beer he planned to drink.  He had no trouble specifying which brand that was.  Could he have not clued in some of the watching world which man it was that he was going to thank for this tremendous win?

Shame on Peyton Manning!  Shame on Cam Newton for walking out of the press conference after all he and his team had accomplished this season!  Two men from each end of the spectrum with one humongous opportunity to let the world know that win or lose, all glory goes to God.  And neither did.  What I would have given for a stage such as theirs to...

To what, Stef?  To show what God means to you?  To share the miracles He's worked on your behalf?  To proclaim that none of this would be possible except for His mercy and grace?  To tell that despite the outcome of the game, you were on the winning team?  To thank Him proudly and yet humbly before mankind for saving your soul?

Yeah, something like that.  And while I don't have a huge audience, I do have this podium and with as much as is in me, with as much ability and determination that I can muster, and with all grace coming from Christ Jesus, I purpose to use my Wandering Through The Bible page to do so.  May I not waste the stage before me is my heart's earnest desire.  Before the curtain falls on my final act, I pray that God will use me to spread His Word, His love, and His encouragement to all who read this blog.  


In closing, don’t be a Cam.  Don’t be a Peyton.  Don’t waste the moments you are given to share the good news of Christ Jesus.  William Shakespeare penned it well all those years ago when he declared that all of the world's a stage.  The audience is watching you, watching me.  Will we get a standing ovation at the end, be asked back for an encore, or will they throw tomatoes at us?  Will they demand their money back and rue the day they placed any faith in us?  Will our performances be those “once-in-a-lifetime” events that are never forgotten or will their heads bow in shame, the way mine is, because faith was placed in man rather than Jesus?


Let’s pray!


Dear Lord, what could have been done in Your Name versus what actually was causes my heart to hurt.  To rage.  To judge.  However, Lord, as I so often do when faced with such emotion, it also makes me reflect on my own actions and what is lacking in them.  Father, please forgive all the times I let You down by not giving You my first fruits.  I’m sorry for the neglected minutes that could have been spent giving acclaim to You when I instead took glory for myself and as an afterthought remembered that oh yeah, this wouldn’t have been possible without You?  What a wretched lot we are, Lord!  How do You put up with us?


Sigh.


Help us, Lord?  Again?  And again?  And again?  We need You so!  Remind us, Father, that in spite of our failings, when You see us, You see Your Son.  You aren’t disappointed in us when we fall.  Nope, instead You sweep us back into Your arms, kiss away our tears, brush off our dirt, and place us in upright positions so that we may stand for You and give it another try.  

Thank You for such mercy.  For such grace.  To say “I love You” is small but because of how You first loved, it’s enough.  I love You, Lord God.  I love You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!