Friday, February 5, 2016

That's Cool

Jackie and Hyde, from the sitcom "That '70s Show" taught me a lesson years ago that I put on the back burner but thankfully my photographic-memory-husband reminds me of frequently.  For you see, I suffer from a disease known as Stef Pity.  It's the kind of illness that affects my mind, heart, and sense of reason.  It happens when I take my eyes off of God and put them on myself.  It occurs frequently when I listen to the world and let its cares bog me down.  Click on the link above and watch as a young girl learns to not take life so seriously.

There's a verse in Ecclesiastes 7:21 that begins "...do not take to heart everything people say..."  Being that I am the sensitive soul, you can see why I catch Stef Pity often in my lifetime.  The symptoms are easy to spot:  whinyness, watery eyes from peepers that have seen too much, dull hearing from ears that have been listening to the wrong speakers, feet that won't get up and go because when they do, troubles await.  Other side-effects of Stef Pity include poor attitude, lack of luster, and chills that are a result from the coldness that sets into my heart.

So, surely there must be some cure for this disease, right?  Also, is it contagious?  What can I do to protect myself from falling victim to this sickness?

Good questions!  Yes, there is a cure.  Yes, it is contagious--deathly so.  The best ways to prevent yourselves from catching it are complicated but when combined with the Great Physician's prescription, you have a wonderful chance of survival and the ability to live a complete and fruitful life.  How?  How can you not fall prey to this infirmity?  Read and practice the following directions:

  • Avoid foolish people
  • Keep your mind clean from wayward thoughts
  • Wash your soul several times throughout the day with the Word of God (the powers of its ability to clean are legendary)
  • Stay busy (idle hands are the devil's playground and just think of all of the cooties out there when you are frolicking about on the swingset and such)
  • Pray often, keeping your attention on God rather than the members of the Stef Pity Support Groups
  • Whatever.  Don't take life too seriously.  Solomon told us himself that it's all vanity so eat, drink, and be merry.  
Merry, not sad.  Not seclusive.  Not hidden away so your lights can't shine.  Light dispels the darkness, you know.  Go shine on those afflicted with Stef Pity and illuminate the Jesus that is just waiting for them to go to Him for the ultimate healing.  The cure is in you, folks.  Don't let those you care most about fall victim to Stef Pity.  Love is infectious.  Be a carrier!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!