Monday, June 15, 2015

Let's get fruity!


2015-06-15 Matthew 13.jpg

June 15, 2015

Don't you just love a good story?  You know, the kind that has mystery, intrigue, and--of course--a protagonist that saves the day!

Jesus loved stories too.  Here's one He shared in Matthew 13 that I'd like to modernize if you'll allow me to.  Jesus' version goes like this:  

1 The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side.
2 And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.
3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Now, for those of you who know anything about me, you know that there is no green on my thumbs.  As shown in the picture, these little plants represent my nursery skills--or lack of.  I have the one on the left that was overzealous, bloomed first, and quickly became staid.  I have the middle one that sprouted more slowly and it too has become unadventurous.  Lastly, I have the soil on the right that...well, a picture is worth a thousand words, right?  

I've been pondering these plants for a while as I hoped they'd blossom and bring forth fruit--or at least the promised basil that the instructions said the seed would produce.  Naturally, I began in my writer's mind to compare these would-be plants to us would-be Christians and here are the varieties of followers I came up with:

1.  We have our peepers, those who pop into church every once in a while to see what's going on.
2.  We have our creepers, those who are in church 'most every service, keeping a close eye on everything and everybody.
3.  We have our heapers, those who are there to share their sorrows, troubles, and needs.
4.  We have our reapers, those who are there to harvest the seeds that have been planted and go out into the community to share the love of Jesus.
5.  We have our weepers, those who mourn over the sins and sicknesses and sadnesses in our congregation.
6.  We have our sleepers, those who come for a quick nap and try to subliminally absorb the Word of God.
7  Lastly, we have our keepers, those who bring forth that good fruit and grow churches--not just physically but also personally.

As a long-time believer in and follower of Jesus, I have seen--and truthfully, been--all of these types of "eapers/eepers" through my years as a child of God.  I've slept my way through a few services.  I've listened to the Word being taught, thought it a marvelous idea, purposed to do better, and then before I even got home or back to school or to work forgotten most of the lessons I learned.  I've been on fire for God and tried to set the world aflame with my vast knowledge of Him.  I've been the condemning one, wondering why those around me weren't improving in their walks until I realized they were thinking the same about me.  I've beebopped in and out of several churches, looking for the right fit.  I've wholeheartedly taught Sunday School, Bible Studies, Ladies Studies, directed Bible School and Christmas Programs, worked in the Sound Booth, helped drive a van to pick up kids, and so on.  Oh yes, I've been "Miss Super Christian" for many years in my journey and yet...

Where is my fruit to show for it?  How many lives have been bettered due to my presence in them?  How much Jesus has been seen through my actions and my life?  The ones I impacted:  does their testimony stand strong today or have they fallen along the wayside?  The dvds prepared as I videoed services for shut-ins:  did this bring them some joy, some hope, some affirmation that Jesus is still working even though they can't get outside to see it?  Those kids I taught and/or brought to church:  what became of them?  Those women I shared and bared my soul with:  were their hearts changed and their burdens lifted as we learned more about Christ together?  These blogs I write:  do they convince or condemn?

Friends, I am still growing, still reaping, still peeping, still weeping in my way as I go from day to day.  But this one thing I know for sure:  I am a keeper.  I have been kept by Jesus and held in His hand.  He's preparing a place for me and though my fruit may not fill the store shelves, it's there.  Some seasons there is more of it than others.  My prayer is that my harvest will be plenty when it's all said and done and that the souls I have earnestly sought to encourage will be behind me, collecting those delicacies, and sharing them with others so that the love of God is truly spread all over this land.

Let's pray!

Dear Lord, thank You for the opportunity to serve You.  As Pastor Payne preached yesterday, we don't work to be saved, we work because we are saved.  And speaking of my preacher, Lord, will You bless him extra good today?  Oh the sleepers, creepers, peepers, heapers, weepers, and such he faces each time he is behind that pulpit!  May his sermons fall on solid ground and may the words You send for him to give to us be well-received?  

Father, we all have a duty as Your children.  Don't let our hearts be so hardened that we cannot continue to grow.  Don't let us start off strong and fizzle out.  Help us, temper us, I ask, so that we stay consistent, we stay fresh, and we provoke others to acts of righteousness in Your name as we seek to be the fruitiest kids You've got!  

We love You, Lord.  Thank You for loving us first.  In Christ's name I pray.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!