Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Livin' On A Prayer


Wandering Through the Bible's photo.

June 23, 2015
The other day, I had the privilege of speaking with an older saint. It was our first real conversation and, as I most always do, I focused the conversation on her so that I could get to know her better.
We started with the generalities (where do you live, married, kids, grandkids, etc) then moved into the how-long-have-you- been- attending-church-here, and then lastly, we began talking about health issues and such. As she told me how she had lost her husband and two of her grown children to cancer--along with her own heart being in poor shape physically due to having had three heart attacks--I questioned her "Kind of makes you wonder why God is keeping you here, huh?" I mean, seriously, how much can one woman take?
Now, some people would be offended at a remark like that and I guess--depending on how it was presented--it could be quite the affront. However, this woman eagerly leaned in to the table and exclaimed "Yes! I wonder that all the time!"
We went on to discuss this and what we came up with was that she is a good pray-er. She feels like she is still here so that she can pray for others. Nice, huh? Now hold on: I'm not going to send you her information so you can bombard her with prayer requests. Some things can be shared with others but oftentimes, the prayers we need to be praying are best done by us individually since we know the genuine need and just how earnest we are about bending God's ears to our cries and petitions.
Deuteronomy 10:12-13 asks us "what does the LORD your God require from you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the LORD'S commandments and His statutes which I am commanding you today for your good?"
It's pretty simple folks, when all is said and done. We have all been created for a purpose and that purpose is to walk in God's ways and to love Him. How long we have to do this is anyone's guess but, like this sweet lady I chatted with on Saturday? As long as she's here, that's what she's gonna do. Sounds like a plan to me!
Let's pray!
Dear Lord, thank You for old saints. They have so much to teach us, so much wisdom, and their hearts seem to be closer to Yours. I pray that You continue to use this woman to pray on the behalves of others and that, Lord, You too use me to walk in Your ways and to love. May it be so is my humble prayer, asked in the name of Jesus. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!