Monday, June 1, 2015

Need a little salt to go with that foot you just put in your mouth?

Happy June 1.  I don't know what it is about new months, new weeks, new beginnings, but I just love them!  Maybe it's the "out with the old, in with the new" aura.  Dunno.  But I like them.  I like them a lot.

Last night, Steve wasn't feeling so great.  Truthfully, all weekend he had been kind of blah.  He slept a lot and was basically useless for entertainment purposes.  Nonetheless, he still was able to insult me in the most "no offense" way so that I could blog about him this morning.  He's just good to me that way.

He had set out some steak bites for supper and as our bellies began to growl, he asked if I wanted him to go grill them.  "Oh no," I replied, "we've not had them in so long I'm fixing them my way."  He gave me a look and then started:  "Uh, honey.  No offense but..."  Mmn hmn.  My man started to insult the cook that was about to fix him a feast by bringing in past experiences when my hand might have been a little too heavy with the soy sauce and/or garlic salt.  The gall!

I interjected quickly, reminding him how I had been making extra good steak bites lately and that I always took his out before the seasoning set in.  "That's right.  You do.  I'm sorry," he says.  I rolled my eyes inwardly, thinking how easy it is for folks to hold your past against you because of one or two times when you might not have lived up to their expectations or fulfilled their desires over your own.

And isn't that the way most of us are, in truth?  Someone somewhere along the line, does something we don't agree with, approve of, or think was not acceptable and that's it.  Each time from then on out we look upon them suspiciously (I'm hearing Elvis crooning "Suspicious Minds" even as I type).  Before taking that instant to consider our words, we spout off something that is made to not be offensive, trying to pre-pacify that soul with the words "No offense, but..."  Blah blah blah.  While trying to make ourselves sound peaceful and avoid a potential conflict, instead we ignite a flame that could have never even begun to smolder had we taken but just a fraction of an instant more and watched our mouths.

The Bible has much to say about guarding our tongues.  In Psalm 39:1, David said "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth while in the presence of the wicked."  Colossians 4:6 tells us "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."  James had much to say about this body part in his epistle, particularly in chapter 3 verses 8-10: "But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way..."

Many more verses deal with this body part and I encourage you to study them.  I know personally the effects and the power of words and my prayer today is that I will more closely think before opening my mouth.  It's gotten me into way too much trouble in the past.  Pray with me for control?  Thanks!

Dear Lord, as I come to You this morning, I thank You for new beginnings.  Where else can we have so many second, third, and eightieth chances than with a Saviour like You?!  Your mercies are new each day and I am so grateful for them.

Father, as I begin this day and am about to go out into the world, I ask that You keep me from saying anything harmful, hurtful, or hasty.  Being quiet is something I am having to learn to do and it's not always easy to not put my two-cents worth into conversations.  So, I'm asking, Lord God, that You bridle me.  Nudge me when I am about to speak without considering my words first.  Muzzle me should I start to get out of control.

Thanks again for this new week.  May I bring glory to You through my words and deeds is my prayer.  I ask this in the name of Jesus.  Amen.

Oh, by the way, the steak bites were wonderful and my hubby was delighted in them.  As if!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!