Monday, June 22, 2015

What a Day That Will Be!

June 22, 2015

Good morning!  Something so wonderful, so marvelous, so very special happened at church yesterday that I just must share it with you.

I think I saw Jesus.  Seriously:  I believe with all of my heart that I saw one of the sweetest representations of Christ--maybe the sweetest ever!--as I witnessed a scene that played out in front of me.  It happened like this.

A few pews ahead of me, there sat a family that included a mother, father, and son.  The son was full of love; I mean, this kid could not keep from hugging, smooching, and resting on his father.  He'd lean over and hug him--and not just a quick touching of each other.  No this kid embraced his daddy, smiled up at him as he felt the hug so lovingly returned, and then he just couldn't help it:  he had to have more.  He reached up and gave his dad a kiss.  They beamed at each other and just reveled in the nearness of being together.  Then the boy would rest his head on dad's shoulder for a moment and then, sure enough, he had to have more.  The process would start all over and the joy of being together was bringing tears to my eyes.

I sat there and thought to myself, "This is how it's going to be when I see Jesus.  I am going to be so tickled to finally be with the One Who did it all for me.  I'm going to be in His presence, in His arms, and like this sweet child, I am going to be so overcome with love that I won't be able to stop lavishing my own hugs and kisses on Jesus."

I John 3:1 tells us "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!"  Lavished!  Isn't that a great verb?  The definition for it is bestow something in generous or extravagant quantities upon.  It's from late Middle English and then from Old French lavasse ‘deluge of rain,’ from laver ‘to wash,’ from Latin lavare.  Pardon the old English teacher in me but I just found this word so fascinating as I pondered this verse with this real-life definition played out for me yesterday.  

Some stories I heard yesterday made my heart weep as several told sad stories of their own lacks of relationships with their earthly fathers and/or fathers of their children.  How I wish they could have seen like I was able to this perspective of what it's going to be like one day for many of us who don't/didn't have this experience on earth.  Oh my heart!  

It's going to be worth it, friends.  Hang on, hang in.  There is coming a day when that love we've yearned for will be fulfilled.  That illustration I saw yesterday will be a reality for the rest of us, one sweet day.  Our kisses will be lavished upon Jesus' face and--here's the best part--they will be returned, generously returned.  They will be poured out upon us and wash all over us.  For you see, it wasn't just a one-sided affection I witnessed.  Oh no.  Dad returned nearly every hug, nearly every kiss, and the tenderness in his eyes as he regarded his child makes me tear up even now.  Jesus, bring the rain!

Let's pray!

Oh dear Lord God, thank You for this reminder yesterday that Your love for Your children is so great, so ready, and so near.  I can almost feel it, can almost feel You, Lord, as I bask in Your presence and revel in the nearness of You.  Hurry, Lord, and come and get us all.  This is the way it should be, the way You planned it all along.  Take away our shame and sin and bring us home to You soon is my plea.  In the name of Jesus I pray it.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!