Thursday, January 29, 2009

K-Mart, Long John Silvers, or me

Monday, August 13, 2007



Yesterday my hubby and I decided we'd go see my folks. We called to let them know we were coming. Sunday is usually my mother's day to visit her mother in the nursing home, go to Asheville, and eat out twice in between church services. She does this with my brother and his daughter and it has been their routine for quite a while. Nonetheless, we compared notes as to what we both intended to do and I assumed we'd meet at her house before she left for her adventures. Boy was I wrong.

Apparently, Steve and I stayed too long visiting my grandmother and my dear mother couldn't wait any longer. So she packed up her entourage and they left. Did I mention I live nearly two hours away and we rarely get together? Also, it's a two-lane highway to and from the nursing home where my grandmother is housed at. Looks like we'd have either passed one another or at the very least that my mother could have called (even though it's backwoods NC, cell phones do work). I guess the lure of the weekly specials at K-Mart and the thoughts of all that greasy fish from Long John's just held much more allure than seeing her youngest daughter.

She did email me to say we must have gotten our wires crossed somewhere and that she hoped we'd try to visit again soon. Thanks, mom. Nothing like the knowledge of not being good enough to delay the trip to Asheville, to do without the trip to K-Mart, or at the very least (kind of an overused phrase in this blog, huh?) to have called with a little more feeling expressed than "oops." I don't know why I am surprised. Just a bit saddened that some things never change, I guess. Being good enough was never my strong suit in your eyes. Thanks for the reminder. Hope your fish was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!