Thursday, January 29, 2009

Call me Granny

Monday, September 24, 2007

I'm going to be a granny. Me. What a wonderful gift will be mine. My baby is having a baby. May 24 is the expected arrival date so that gives me some time to prepare to be the best grandmother I can possibly be.

Wow! So many things to consider. I have to fix the back bedroom up--but wait, what color do I do it in? Ash is only five weeks along so I guess paint choice will have to wait. Hmmn. I need a crib! A high chair. I've got a rocker ('though Casey would tell you I'm off mine). A new scrapbook will have to be started! What else? Clothes, blankies (I wish I knew how to quilt!), and a baby washtub.

I guess the biggest thing I need is prayer. I don't want to be overexuberant, meddlesome, or intefere in Cashley's parenting. I do want to be supportive, compassionate, and wise.

How does one watch her baby go through this? How can I not be there each step of the way? She's never done this before! She needs me. Doesn't she? Aw, the awful memories of what a horrible mother I sometimes was may make her keep me far from her. May it not be so! Doesn't she know she was my practice child and that I'm an expert now? Look how well she turned out. Surely some of that was due to my influence. Maybe just a little?

These next eight months we'll all grow. God, please let me grow the most in Your love, wisdom, and grace. Let me be the parent You are to me. Show me when to step up and when to back down. Fill me with tenderness but not silly emotions. Strengthen me with Your Word so that I may teach my new grandchild about You. Help me, dear Father, to be the best I can be.

My baby is having a baby. Wow. What a day, what a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!