Thursday, January 29, 2009

Straws

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Straws
Current mood: determined

I have been holding onto a grudge. A grudge that I know is stupid. In fact, in reality, it has no place in my life. Because in my marvelous hindsight and infinite wisdom, I realize the source of this resentment is just a family, a family who thought they were doing the right thing at the time. Their methods could have been more to my liking. Their—what I deemed underhandedness back then—confrontation of the situation was not godly, although they saw it as such. Their feeling of being insulted was completely justified—in their eyes—and they did what they thought should be done in order to protect their child from my evil teachings, from me. Looking back, they were wrong.

Looking now, it's like the incident didn't happen. It was settled in their eyes and I don't know about their hearts. Apparently, considering how they treat me now, things were resolved to their satisfaction. I used to considerably blame them for the loss of my job but, again in my infinite wisdom, realize they were just pawns. Straws, actually, and those who had the authority over me used them to be the last one concerning my position.

Yet, they are still a thorn in my flesh. I act nicely towards them. My husband has become a great friend of the father of this family. He tells me how great this man is, how his life is lived for Christ. I want to choke at this betrayal sometimes. Sometimes; not as much as I used to. For you see, this man was just a straw. My husband isn't really betraying me. He's showing me the way to be, the way a real follower of Christ should be.

My Bible devotion told me this morning to read certain verses in Matthew about forgiveness and then to think of one or two folks I need to forgive. I thought, "Hmn. Nice devotion. I bet it might even work for some." I pondered that for another moment and thought "Am I going to continue just being a hearer of the Word or am I going to apply His teachings?" Sighing, I opened my Bible to those familiar passages. I've read them several times; heard them preached upon often. It's time to apply. Great. I have to actually do what the Word says or I will be the one in the wrong. Yes, this incident happened years ago. In that family's eyes, why I doubt they even know the havoc they created in my life, the betrayal I felt by these people. Why, why, why didn't they personally come to me with this problem and let us resolve it without going to the lengths they took at the time and causing me humiliation and despair? Honestly, how dared they throughout the years act like my friends? The absolute gall! Why did they do this? Because they were straws.

So, now comes the big decision. I am a different person so isn't it fair to say that they too have changed? This incident probably didn't affect them nearly as much as I have allowed it to affect me. I seriously doubt if they know the grief I have felt, otherwise how can they continue on with their act of liking me and joking with? How can they? Because they actually do like me. They received the result they wanted at the time so what happened in my life is inconsequential. Not that it didn't matter; it just didn't matter to them. Why do I continue letting them have a power over me to make my day one of blaming and holding this grudge against them when their names come up? Why do I inwardly sneer when they talk of how wonderful their child is and the things being accomplished? Sigh. Why am I still harboring my own resentment? I've already stated the obvious. Truth be told, my job was gone anyway. Icing on the cake some would say this was. The last straw.

Okay, back to the real issue: am I or am I not going to forgive them for their actions? They haven't asked me to because in their mind, I was the wrong doer. Stay on task here, Stef. This all took place a while ago. The only reason it comes up is because I haven't been an applier of the commandment to forgive. And there are many other circumstances where I haven't been applying what I know to. So, for this one incident, for this one day, am I going to put my faith in the One Who died for my stupidness, for my harm to others both knowingly and unknowingly, for my part of wreaking havoc on others' lives…? Am I going to revel in His forgiveness for the things I haven't repented of and perhaps am even unaware of? How many wrongs have I caused that don't even come to my mind? The people I mentioned were just pawns in Satan's evil game of trying to tear down the Christian community. It's been working but I think that yes, I am going to forgive and change teams. I want to be on the winning side now, the one where love, encouragement, true friendship and yes, forgiveness abounds. The side where people are human, they—I--make mistakes and instead of kicking when one is down, offer a hand up instead.

Oh this is tough. It's easy to think I can do this at this moment, Lord. But You know ol' slew foot is going to put me in these folks' pathway and have them do or say something to bring this all back to my mind sometime either in the near future, far future, or both. In my own strength I cannot fully forgive. I'm not like You, Jesus. But I want to be so I am asking You to help me let go of my grudge against these folks. Help me to love in truth and not pretense anymore. And when the devil jabs their injustice in my face, help me to turn my cheek the other way and tell him to find some other straw. I'm not sucking up his lies anymore.

Postscript

Sure enough, the devil did attack after I made this resolution. But it wasn't by these people. He's so sly; he used another saved person to annoy me and to lead me to feel harshly towards. The cycle never ends. It never will until our Jesus comes for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!