Monday, May 11, 2015

Clouds on the Horizon

May 11, 2015

How many of us are trusting our important documents, pictures, and private matters to a "cloud" that we cannot see?  You know the ones I'm referring to, right?  Google has one, as does Amazon.  Other sites use them as well to "store" our things in...in where exactly?  A "cloud"?  A "cloud" that I cannot see yet can access anytime, anywhere, as long as I am logged into that source?  Sounds pretty strange to me and yet...

It works.  Whenever I go to check on my blogs, my photographs, my messages, I can be in a place that was different from where they were sent from.  I can be in another town, another state, and (I'm assuming because I get messages from folks) even other countries.  While I cannot physically hold these notes, pics, and documents in my hand, I can view them on my electronic devices.  How wild is that?  If we had told our parents and grandparents this would one day be the future, for them to forget about filing cabinets and saving all of those tax returns, check stubs, and marriage certificates, to not worry about making scrapbooks (eek!!) because who really would develop those treasured memories and spend all of that time pasting and prettying them up in albums, or to not keep their journals and private thoughts in books anymore but rather store them in this unseen cloud, what would their responses have been?

They might surprise us.  They might tell us that for most of their lives they have been storing up treasures where neither moth nor mold could corrupt them.  They might have told us that those memories of all the good times (and the sad ones too) are being kept in a record indeed up in the sky, where thieves cannot steal them.  They might even tell us about how all of those tears we've cried are stored in a jar on a shelf.  They might tell us that this newfangled cloud isn't so new, isn't so amazing, nor is it as unbelievable as it seems.  

For you see, they've been trusting in an unseen Hand for eons now.  They've been placing their trust in a Man Whom they've never seen face-to-face, yet their lives are in His hands.  They might tell us about their unspoken prayers that keep getting answered--and they didn't even have to write them down first to be uploaded to this storage device in the sky!

Let's not sell our senior citizens too shortly.  They still have a thing or two to teach us.  Why not take the time today to invest some of your time with one or two and see what other marvels that you think you've recently discovered can't even compare with the mysteries they have to tell you all about?  I daresay it just might be the most fascinating conversation you've had in a while--although it will require putting away your electronic appendages and sitting a spell with a real-live, genuine, person.  I also think you might just have the time of your lives doing so!

Let's pray!

Dear Lord God, as technology continues to evolve and amaze, allow us to remember that there is nothing new under the sun.  Remind us that the stories of old are worth retelling as they teach us about Your Book of Life, Your eternal records of our lives, and Your etching in even Your own hand which can tell us the most personal story we've ever been a part of.

Thank You for being such a personal God, Lord.  Thank You for always having time for us.  We look forward to that day of cloud watching from a different vantage point as You reveal to us those things that we cannot see.  We love You.  I love You!  In the name of Jesus I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!