Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Tunnel Vision

Wandering Through the Bible's photo.
May 20, 2015
Yesterday evening, Steve and I took the long way home. And by long way, I mean we went an extra three hours out of our way to get there!
It was my fault. I thought we'd take the Blue Ridge Parkway "shortcut" to the interstate but that we'd stay on it until the Swannanoa exit rather than the one near the mall. As we drove I saw a sign saying the Craggy Gardens were 17 miles ahead. "That was new," I thought. Honestly, I think someone must've moved Swannanoa the sign 'cause I sure didn't see it.
As we enjoyed the trek--of course singing along to the 'Pod--we noticed more overlooks than usual. Well, you know we are in our fifties now and a little slower but we finally realized we weren't in Kansas anymore. However, thinking there'd be another turn off to Marion soon, we continued on.
We saw some beautiful sights as spring was springing in the mountains. Many pictures were taken (I'm really loving my new Selfie Stick!) and much appreciation for the vastness of God's creation was going on. We chatted with a few other travelers along the way who had also stopped to take pics and had a nice evening--even though there weren't any facilities nearby and the Mickey D's Sweet Tea was making its presence known. wink emoticon
Along the way, we went through several tunnels, such as the one pictured. Some took a bit longer to go through and drivers were cautioned to turn on their lights. Others were easily able to be see from both ends. Speaking of which, I think I will post another at the end of this blog to show you how one was on the edge of the mountain as I marveled at the ingenuity of folks to carve such a connection.
Okay, Stef, get to the good stuff.
All righty, then. Here goes.
Tunnels. They are dark passages. Some go on for a long while and others are easily traveled through. Those are the ones we think we can do on our own, not needing to turn on our headlights to get through them. But the first ones I mentioned: the ones that indeed need some assistance? How wonderful the security I felt as I pulled on the switch to turn on the light. Suddenly the tunnel wasn't so scary. It didn't even matter (much) what was on the other side because I knew with this help that I could see and that I wasn't alone in my darkness.
How about you, friends? Do you ever feel there is no end in sight, that there is no way through this--whatever trial it is you are going through right now--, that there is no light? May I assure you that there is. Jesus is the Light of the World. In Him is no darkness. He's also holding you with His hand so you are not alone. You can see; you can walk. This tunnel you must go through will get you to the other side. Oh sure: you could do it the hard way. You could try climbing over it or going around it. It'll take you longer, no doubt about that. You might get scratched and spend endless time wandering about as you try to stay on the trail that leads to the road you are following. You might think you don't need any light nor any help from anyone. You might.
But why not do it the easy way instead? Why not go on the pathway laid before you, take hold of God's unchanging hand, and trust that He will be a light unto your path? Stop being so stubborn and independent! Besides, so much beauty awaits on the other side. Don't you want to see it? I know I do!
Let's pray!!
Dear Lord,
Thank You for being my Illuminator. Thank You for making tunnels in my life to test me, to see if I dare to go through to the other side. Thank You, mostly though, for not making me go through them alone. Lord, You know I am often afraid of the dark. However, with You holding me, directing me, and lighting the way it's not such a scary world after all.
Also Lord, I thank You for the beauty You created and allowed me to see last night. Yeah, had I paid more attention to the signs, I would have gotten home sooner but I would have missed the tunnel lesson. I needed it so...thanks! I'll do something nice for You one day!
Love You, Lord! Amen!
Wandering Through the Bible's photo.
Here's the tunnel on the edge. Hope you don't find yourself in the same predicament! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!