Saturday, September 26, 2015

All things work together for good

I've been a little under the weather for the past couple of days, and not just because it's raining.  My throat has been sore and I've had a slight fever.  Perhaps my body is rebelling against fall?  May it not be so!  It's my favorite time of the year, after all, so maybe the reason I have had to be chair and bed-ridden is instead so that time is put upon me to reflect over the Bible verse Steve and I have been studying and pondering on this week.

As we concluded our thoughts on it last night, we mostly discovered that this verse has been taken out of context for many who claim it as their life verse or who might have misunderstood its meaning in other ways.  It doesn't say that "all things work together for my good."  It just says "for good."  "For good to them that love God."  "For good to them that love God and are the called according to His purpose."

Steve and I discussed how sometimes you have to take one for the team, so to speak, in order that a higher purpose may be fulfilled.  Remember Joseph in the Bible (the one with the brothers, not the earthly dad to Jesus)?  Do you honestly think he would have chosen the suffering he went through, the imprisonment, and the neglect by those he helped get out of some pretty tight spots just so that one day he would be second in command?  His plight was used to save thousands from starvation and in his later years, he was commended for his common sense and his ability to delegate, rule, and decipher dreams.  The title he received:  do you think it made up for the years of angst?

A friend of ours went through a harrowing life event several years back.  It cost her her dignity, her reputation, and her home but she stuck it out, stood by her man, and now?  Now her children are flourishing, hubby has been restored to a position of great importance, and she has a new home that isn't filled with memories of his betrayal.  Would she have wished his adulterous actions upon her family?  Hardly.  But she's a different woman now and this horrid mistake was used to accomplish a greater good for many who now get to participate in the lives of the two incredible daughters who shine even brighter for Christ than ever before.  She has become a person of compassion and understanding in ways she never dreams she'd have to be but God had a reason for her to go through this trial.

While Steve and I in no way claim to have it all together, we too have been through some life experiences--some before we met and some since--that have shaped us into the couple we are today.  Super Couple?  Hmn.  Doubtful.  But we have overcome some of the obstacles of our pasts that made us stronger together and have allowed us to be examples of what God can do with a broken life when we allow His super glue to put souls back together.  Had we allowed "things" to not work together, had we thrown in the towel, or had we not loved God enough to put His will for our lives first, no doubt we wouldn't be together to this day.  

A lady I met recently told me of how she was still trying to figure out how good was going to come from her nephew's seemingly senseless death at a young age when here she was, old and used up.  What could she do that he couldn't?  Why when his life was just starting did it end and why was hers allowed to go on?  I couldn't answer her in depth but I did tell her that God knew what He was doing.  We can't always see it and maybe the answers aren't clear for years to come and yes, sometimes the answers just cannot be found this side of heaven.  But I fully believe He is working it for good.  The greater good.  For them that love Him.  For those whom He foreknew.  For them that are willing to work for His purpose.  We are never too old to be used by our Lord God.  He has a purpose for us being here.  Instead of wondering why He lets certain things happen, perhaps we should be asking Him what:  What do You want and need for me to do, Father?  I love You.  You first loved me.  What can I do for You?  How can You use me for the good of the rest?  When will I be relevant?  Who can I reach out to on Your behalf?  

The picture I used for today's verse is from a bulletin board of members of my church who answered a brief survey of who they are, what their testimonies are, why they would invite others to our church, and when they became members.  They were asked to share favorite memories and special dates.  They are the ones who are here now, carrying the torch, enabling the church to continue.  Theirs are the labors being done as they work together to teach, to minister, to spread the Good News.  Would their ancestors be proud that the light they instilled in them years ago is shining so brightly now?  I think so.  I know so.  For you see WE KNOW THAT ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD TO THEM THAT LOVE GOD, TO THEM THAT ARE THE CALLED ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSE.  Aren't you just so glad He called you, friends?  Me too!

Let's pray!

Dear Lord, how I thank You for this verse and the promise it holds!  The abuses I suffered as a child helped to shape me into a more compassionate adult who can better relate to some of the issues that others have gone through.  While I wish my childhood years had been better spent, they did teach me much on who not to be when I got older.  You used those negatives to mold me into one who isn't as quick to judge another's motives because You have taught me to look deeper into actions folks do rather than just accepting at face value the supposed intent of the heart.

Lord, You are still using me and I think that is because I love You.  My life's messes and failings each teach me different things that are making the outline of this puzzled life of mine take form.  One day You will complete the work You have begun in me and I know it will be for good.  I used to wonder why You bothered with me and yes, there were times I feared You weren't even paying attention, for how else could such atrocities have been allowed?  But You were there.  You're here now.  You haven't forsaken me and You speak to me when I take the time to be still.  

Thank You for not giving up on me, for not disowning me during all those times I brought You much shame.  Thank You for keeping me from the world and its ugliness and wisely taking me out during Your time to accomplish the deeds You have set before me.  And it's not over yet, Lord.  There is still much to be done so I pray that my love for You deepens as does my dependence on You as I rely on Your Word to continue teaching me, growing me, and molding me more and more into the image of Jesus.  Sometimes that hurts but why should I expect special treatment or a life without pain?  He certainly didn't have such.  If I am to be like Him, there are certain sufferings I too must endure.  But those sufferings, You teach me, cannot compare with the glory ahead.  Keep my eyes on You is my plea, Father.  In the name of Christ Jesus, I lift them to You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!