Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Another 'Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song'? Maybe. But then again, maybe not.


Gooood morning!  Yes, it's early but I just couldn't sleep!  I am so excited to share with you--and challenge you to join us--my and Steve's latest verse that we are exploring.  For you see, we have been less than thrilled with our current way of Bible Study so we did what any normal soul would do:  we went back to our original way of choosing a verse, journaling about it, and then discussing it. Oh my:  I think that if it indeed it ain't broke, don't fix it!

So, without any further ado, here we go.  Our plan is to on Monday evenings choose a verse and do the above to it.  However, to enhance our study, we are going to chew on this verse, memorize it throughout the week, and then re-visit it on Friday evenings and see what we each gleaned about it.  This will come from a variety of sources, such as messages overheard, everyday chatter, songs, life, and whatever else our Lord uses to bring attention to a better understanding of the chosen passage.  Let's face it:  we all have busy lives and planning our time with the Lord is paramount to a peaceful fellowship with Him.  Yeah, some might say we are "penciling Him in" but you know what?  That makes it more exciting and as I wrote above, I'm pretty excited to see what God is going to teach me and Steve this week as the topic of forgiveness is revisited.

Here are my notes from last night.  As you will read, there are quite a few things I shall be looking for enlightenment on this week!

The first thing this says to me is to not pray while standing up.  Problem solved!  
Hmn.  My attempt at humor leads me to examine my prayer life.  In truth, I usually am in a chair or the bed when I pray.  Am I unintentionally not giving honor to God?  When a guest arrives, is not the custom to stand as a sign of respect?  Mmn hmn.  In church, most prayers are done while on our feet.  In so doing, we are acknowledging God in His holiness.  So maybe I need to change my altitude and rise when I pray.
Next, that dreaded word:  forgive.  Yet (my mind argues as I write) shouldn't it instead be a blessed word, reminding me of what is no longer being held on my account and for which I no longer am responsible for?  I think so!    Do I carry grudges?  Is someone I am near to doing things that really get my goat?  Are there feelings of resentment that I have towards another that I have yet to deal with?   This verse says when I forgive, God will also forgive me of my transgressions.  I wonder:  does this mean He will forgive me my part of this infraction or does that pertain to Him forgiving me of ALL of my transgressions?  I should follow up on this.
Lastly, why the distinction of "your Father in heaven"?  Was there confusion about who has the power of forgiveness?  Hmn hmn hmn.  
As Steve and I discussed my thoughts and his, we were left with quite a few questions, a couple of which I shall now list:

  1. How responsible am I for my brother sinning against me?  For instance, when our gsons fight and one gets his feelings hurt or blows are thrown, how innocent was the other in the argument?  There are two sides to each story, right?  What part of my grudge is from my own immaturity, ignorance, or am I just an unwitting soul who is being persecuted?
  2. Have I gone to my brother first to try to resolve this issue or am I letting it eat me up, maybe even talking to others about it, and then when I am reminded of it during prayer time and/or communion, realize I haven't done my part to fix this?
  3. Who is to blame, be blamed, or is any blameless? 
In closing, I hope you will be challenged to examine this verse more deeply.  After all, we must study to show ourselves approved, right?  Whew.  I may have my work cut out for me this week!  Let's pray!

Dear Lord, thank You first and foremost for this sense of excitement in doing my Bible study again. It's easy to get dry and nonchalant when reading Your Word but I don't want to be lukewarm, Father.  I want to be hot in my pursuit of knowing You better and of understanding the scriptures.  Increase my desire to know Jesus more is my prayer and it is in His name that I pray this.  Amen!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!