Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Boys to Men


I find myself thinking this morning about two fellas who have recently come into the world of adulthood.  Unsupervised, no moms around, do-it-yourself, trial-by-fire adults.  As I ponder their excitement at being on their own, I wonder:  were they trained for this?  Did Momma and Daddy properly prepare them for living on their own?  I mean, there's laundry to be kept up with, dishes to wash, groceries to buy, home maintenance to be done, as well as the other day in and day out things that embody having a home.  

I have no doubts they came from good stock.  I know their parents and feel that they have done a good job with their boys.  But to release them to the world?  To let them spread their wings and fly?  Hmn.  Legally, they are adults.  Sort of.  They can vote but they can't buy alcohol (which I doubt they'd do anyways).  Are they really ready for this experience of being homebodies without somebody there to look after them?

Guess we'll see.  Guess we'll see if they are in the faith that has been placed upon them.  Guess we'll see if they pass the test when the bills are due and taxes need to be paid and the oil tank refilled.  Guess we'll see when the toilet overflows or the dust piles up.  Guess we'll see how these two fellas will prevail when possible catastrophes strike.  We'll find out how they managed, how they handled these stumbling blocks, and how much they needed (if any) to call Dad and get some advice.

I'm not expecting bad news.  I believe that these guys will shine, that they will more than prove that the faith that has been placed in them was of good value.  I feel sure that the lessons taught to them from an early age will turn into a good investment as they enter this world of adulthood.  Will they mess up once in a while or just need some helpful words of wisdom?  Surely.  Don't you?  Don't I?  None of us has all the answers but the kicker here is being so well taught from the start that we aren't afraid to ask the Teacher for some clarification every now and then.  

"Prove your own selves" states II Corinthians 13:5.  It's exam time, fellas.  I know you are prepared.  I know you are going to shine.  Jesus Christ is in you and now it's time to let Him work in you all those things that your head knows and make them real in your hearts.  So go ahead:  show us what you've got!  I can't wait to see the final project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!