Monday, September 28, 2015

Who is that?

September 28, 2015

This week, I will be exploring this verse from II Corinthians 13:5.  As I do so, I invite you to journey alongside of me as I seek out what is truly inside of me and how I am representing Jesus through it all.  

Do you ever look in the mirror and see someone else staring back at you?  Maybe it was a hint of the girl you used to be, the one who was more fun, light-hearted, and not so serious all the time.  Maybe it's the reflection of your mom (gasp!) looking back at you, reminding you of where you came from.  Or perhaps it's the resemblance to another family member, a sister or even brother (this happens when my hair gets cut too shortly).  Whatever the case, when your eyes meet those of the one peering at you, something about the whole situation causes you to ponder.

The other day, as I was holding and feeding my youngest grandson, I looked into his eyes and saw...me.  I saw my innocence shining back at me as he trustingly lie in my arms, knowing he was protected even though he didn't know protection was needed.  I saw depth in those beautiful blues that made me think he understood more than he was ready to deal with so instead, he'd just stay a baby a little longer.  I also saw a tiny boy, so lovable, and wondered how on earth someone could be so cared for at one time and then later left to his own devices and tossed carelessly aside.

Lastly, as my other two gsons were flitting about, Steve and I remarked to each other different things/actions they do now that we had done when we were younger.  For instance, the oldest one has a mouth on him.  It gets him into trouble when he talks back, or when he tries to make a joke out of a situation when his charm hasn't lessened the effect he is about to receive for some careless act that he had been repeatedly warned to not perform.  So much like me, poor child.  I've fervently admonished him to control his tongue and not be like ol' Granny.  He listened, wanting to know what I'd done to get me in such trouble, and then...then he was off again, letting it go in one ear and out the other.

Just how many selves of us are there?  As I ponder of these three examples this week, I am going to need some revelations.  What am I portraying to those around me?  What needs to change so I can be better and also so that I can be less?  Yeah, that's an odd phrase but sometimes we try to be more than we should so I am going to need to study up on what I do in life that works and what doesn't so that when the test comes around, I may pass with flying colors!

Let's pray!

Dear Lord,  

I know I didn't go into much detail today but I'm hoping that the words I penned will help others to begin their process today in discerning what You would have us to glean from today's verse.  Father, I don't want to say with my mouth that I am Your child while my actions are telling a whole other story.  Help me, I ask, to find the answers and to illustrate that I am indeed Yours without browbeating it into my kids, friends, and others who may be watching.  May I be the real thing is my prayer today.  In the holy name of Jesus I pray this:  amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!