Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Wanderings of a Wanderer

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.   
I Corinthians 13:11

 "If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space."  My husband states this often.  He likes to think of himself as a rebel, as one who colors outside of the lines, as one who doesn't follow.  No, he's not a leader; not at all.  He just is one who doesn't like to be bound by rules and regulations, although I assure you he is a law-abiding, God-fearing man.  It's just...

It's just that inside, he is human.  He has his own mind, his own dreams, his own thoughts of how things should be done.  Men in the field:  women in the kitchen.  Barbaric?  Caveman?  Nah; just your typical good ol' Southern boy.  And why I am droning on about him I don't know except that my fingers seem to have a mind of their own this morning and hopefully they will lead us to the point I am trying to make.  I too have my own dreams.

Remember the impotent man I've been writing about all month?  Jesus told him to take up his bed and walk.  He didn't tell him to stand:  He told him to walk.  Have you ever watched a toddler in the beginning stages of learning this phase of life?  He'll stand up on his wobbly little legs, think he's ready to go, and then plop!  Down he goes.  Those first few times, he just stays down but...but he keeps on moving, crawling towards his goal, until the next time he's on his feet and another attempt is made, hopefully with more success.  Finally, one day without any fanfare, the kid is walking and though he still stumbles, the occurrences are fewer and further than before.

This morning before he left for work, Steve and I read another chapter from Max Lucado's book When God Speaks Your Name.  Entitled "Healthy Habits," Max wrote of the four habits in the Bible that we are to implement in our lives if we are to become spiritually mature adults.  We can't stay kids forever.  Max wrote about growing in grace, growing up in Christ, and leaving behind the elementary teachings and going on to ministry.  You can click on the link and read it; it's quite good.  But here's what I want to discuss:  growing up.

We can't stay babies forever.  See this pic of me?  I was in the "Terrible Twos" stage and if you look at my face, you can see the pouting lips, the near-defiant stare, the fingers poised to get into something that they didn't belong in.  While I don't remember being this young, I obviously was.  But here's what I wonder most when I reflect on this photograph:  have I changed?  Look with me, beyond the superficial for a moment.  Am I still a pouter?  Shamefacedly I admit, yes.  Do I still glare when others dare to defy my wishes?  Uh, guilty.  And those hands:  are they still looking to get into mischief?  Wellll, maybe not as much.  I do try to use them to further the good news of Christ.  Sometimes.  Most of the time.

Hmn.

As I close this blog, I want to challenge you--and myself--to examine once again whom we are in Christ.  Are we still babies who can barely do anything for ourselves and must continually be fed, be led around by our fingers so that we have someone to hold onto, and be told constantly what to do because we don't know how to fend for ourselves?  Or...are we growing?  Can we pick up and put away our toys without being told that it's time to get to work?  Can we chew on some steak instead of just eating processed food that doesn't require us sinking our teeth into?  Can we stand for what is right and then take the next steps into defending our stance?  

My closing prayer with Steve this morning went something like as follows.  Is it true for you too?

Dear Lord, as I think about being a child who needs to embrace adulthood, it's kind of like when I go to the ocean.  At first, my tootsies want to just dip into the receding waves to get a feel for the ocean's temperature.  Just a small taste.  It's okay to get my feet wet, but to get knee deep into this unknown source?  Hmn.  Not so sure.  But then, Lord, when I take the plunge (so to speak) and let the waves crash into my back as I am exhilarated and stunned at the same time, the feeling of the waves causes sensations like none other. I want more but also feel fear as the powerful water invites, challenges, and urges me forward.  I can't swim.  Do I dare to proceed further into uncharted territories?  

Lord?  As I continue growing in Your Word, I realize that there are bigger things out there for me, new experiences to try, and further paths to explore.  I'm not a baby anymore and You have grown and equipped me to walk: to carry my bed and to walk.  I can't just sit on the sidelines, Father, if I am to be all I can be.  Help me to rise is my prayer, asked in the name of Jesus.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!