Thursday, January 7, 2016

Wishin' and Hopin' and Prayin'

Question: Do you want to get well?
Answer: I have no one to help me.


Question: Would you like to get well?
Answer: "I can't, Sir," the sick man said, "for I have no one to put me into the pool when the water bubbles up. Someone else always gets there ahead of me."


Question: Do you wish to get well?
Answer: The sick man answered Him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, but while I am coming, another steps down before me."


Question: When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, He saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?
Answer: The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.


Four different versions of the same conversation and not in a one of them do I read the words "Yes. Yes I want to get better. Yes, I want to be made whole. Yes, that is my wish: to be well."

Do you ever wonder if Jesus is tired of your excuses, tired of your fence-sitting, and/or tired of your lukewarm attitude? Well, wonder no more! Your cries have been heard. Listen as He speaks:
   
     Then Jesus said to him, "Get up! Pick up your mat and walk." (NIV)
     Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. (KJV)

Do you want to be healed or do you just want attention? Do you want to whine instead of being made whole? Don't answer too rashly. Maybe you need a few more years of wandering in the desert. Perhaps some more time lounging at the pool is in order.

Sarcastic much, Stef?

Unfortunately, yes. Yes I am. But I am also sincere. So many times I have made new year's resolutions to conquer such and such behaviour. I've planned new regimes on more fingers and toes that I can count on. I've begged others to journey with me because I know how complacent I get without an accountability partner. So while these words have a bite, listen also to the ring of truth in them.

Do you wish (which implies a dream) or do you want (which implies some effort is going to have to go into it) to get well? Will you be made whole or are you just gonna lay there a while longer and think about it?

Let's pray!

Dear Lord, here's Your wayward child, running her mouth again, trying to straighten everyone else out when she is the one who is bent over, crooked, and in need of Your touch, Your healing, Your completeness. I write this blog in hopes of reaching others but today, God, today it's me who needs to have the waters stirred. Today it's me who needs to have a heavenly visitor come and help me out. Today I find myself on the fence again, wavering, Father, as my flesh battles my desire to be more like You. I wish to be made whole but am not sure I want to put the work into it. Help me? In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!