Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My brain keeps telling me to do bad things

Those were the words one of my grandsons said last night, as he explained why he was so tired.  Oh how I can relate!

Instead of taking my time to focus on God and study His Word today, my attention got distracted by Pinterest.  Arrgghhh!  That site will have one dazzled, inspired, allured, and before you know it, several hours have passed and all of the plans made to be productive are now floundering about in my head as I think of all the things I could make, could learn how to do, and could share with others run haphazardly through my mind.

Distractions.  They surround us.  No matter how focused on a task, they come--uninvited, mind you--to keep one from doing what is right.  That's not to say they are telling us to do bad things but...But if truth be told, if they are preventing us from doing what is our lot in life, then methinks some self-discipline is in order.

In front of me, on the top of my window sill, are the whatevers of the Bible for me to be reminded of doing. 
While spending two or three hours on Pinterest isn't bad, it did keep me from fully focusing on Christ first.  First.  I could justify it and say that the things I was looking at were to further the gospel and fellowship amongst our sisters who join for Crafts Day once a month.  Right?  Couldn't I?  Maybe, had I done this second or even third after.  After putting Jesus first.  After spending some time doing something for Him rather than about Him.  After fellowshipping first with Him then I could perhaps somehow make these past hours have some value to them.  Then I could rationally and fully focus on those whatevers that are lovely, true, right, and so on.  But isn't Christ at the top of this list?  He should be.  He's supposed to be.

My brain keeps telling me to do bad things.  No wonder the kid was exhausted.  

Let's pray.

Lord, with head bowed low and mind tired, I come to You.  Not my first fruits and I wouldn't blame You a bit if you didn't accept my offering now.  You deserve so much more and my shame is great as I contemplate on the time I waste on worldly things when I could be walking with You.  I tell myself these things are done in Your name, for Your people, and for "good" reasons.  But the fact is, Father, that while that all may be true, I need to first sit at Your feet, to choose the better part as Mary did.  Sigh.  We both know I have more Martha in me than Mary.

As my day is halfway over, I purpose to focus on You with it first.  Right now.  May my brain tell me to do good things, Lord.  May my struggles end with the rest found in You is my prayer.  In the name of Jesus I ask for reconciliation with You.  Amen.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking your time to read today!